VirtualBox 5.1.26 start up crash

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jnb

VirtualBox 5.1.26 start up crash

Post by jnb »

I am unsure whether the following belongs in Linux Guests or Windows Hosts.

My host is Windows 7 (64) Home Premium, running Ubuntu Linux in VB. This morning I accepted the latest VB upgrade to 5.1.26 r117224, which went through fine as usual, and accepted the corresponding Extension Pack upgrade.

At which point, any attempt to boot my Ubuntu 17.04 resulted in:
---------------------------
VirtualBox.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0xeb7d6d43 referenced memory at 0x00000018. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program
OK   
Rebooting the PC made no difference. VB marks the image as Aborted.

I was about to come here to report, when I thought I'd better try booting the old images I have for Ubuntu 16.04 & 14.04. These booted fine. At which point, my 17.04 now booted without problem!

However, since then my Ubuntu 17 image has reverted to the above error, regardless of what I do or do not boot first.

My previous VB update was, I believe, accepted a week ago (after a lapse of a few weeks), and that was fine, so this problem appears to have come from the very latest release.

So I am stuck now unable to do my work :( What do I do now to deal with this, please?

EDIT: FWIW, I completely uninstalled VB and reinstalled. Same crash on trying to run up the image. As of right now, I have been able to get into my VB 5.1.26 with Ubuntu 17, by getting into an old Ubuntu 16 image (sometimes works, sometimes same error), and then running up the other VB image. I do not dare quit, as I'm not at sure I'll be able to run it again....

P.S.
My problem looks like that reported below in post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84015 Unlike that user, I have attached my VBox.log when it crashes, does that help?
Attachments
Ubuntu.vbox.txt
(6.13 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
VBox.log
(72.57 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: VirtualBox 5.1.26 start up crash

Post by michaln »

jnb wrote:I am unsure whether the following belongs in Linux Guests or Windows Hosts.
Probably the latter but it doesn't really matter much.
What do I do now to deal with this, please?
Please provide a minidump as described here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Core_dump -- chances are you already have one (or several).
tonny
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by tonny »

I've had similar issues after updating to 5.1.26 and it appears to be related to the guest audio settings.
Disable audio in the VM config, or change it from AC97 to HD Audio.
jnb

Post by jnb »

tonny wrote:I've had similar issues after updating to 5.1.26 and it appears to be related to the guest audio settings.
Disable audio in the VM config, or change it from AC97 to HD Audio.
You're a hero! Changing from AC97 to Intel HD Audio let me in reliably. (I have no idea what a AC97 versus a HD Audio is.)

Having said that, I am now also able to get in reliably with that reverted to AC97. When I got in I installed 5.1.26 Guest Additions. I have a question about these "guest settings". When I upgrade my VB and boot into Linux I get offered to update my "Guest Additions" (which I always do). As I understand it, these are the Linux Guest side (and requires running on the guest) of whatever is being offered by the Windows Host. Now: when VB has been upgraded to, say, 5.1.26, and my existing image was on 5.1.24, can that cause the Linux Guest to "crash" until it has been upgraded to the latest Guest Additions? Because if so that would cause a potential problem for each upgrade...
tonny
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by tonny »

That setting controls which audio device type VB emulates for the guest. AC97 is much older than HD Audio, but VB uses it as default for most guest types, probably because they are more likely to have support for it.

Though it is always recommended to update your guest additions to match the version of VB in the host, I haven't come across any case until now where it would crash if it was a bit off.
jnb

Post by jnb »

Ah, then I shall change my defaults over to the HD Audio anyway then.

It seems strange that now it works again reliably against AC97 though. The only thing I can see that has changed is that I have installed the Guest Additions, that's why I wondered if that could have been the cause....

Thank you for your help! (And to michaln, but I can't provide a minidump now that all is well!)

P.S.
I wonder if this should be stickied against 5.1.26...?
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

I think we found and fixed the issue.

We'll supply a new test build shortly.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

Please give the just uploaded 5.1 test build 117314 a try, which can be found here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
MarkDavid

Post by MarkDavid »

Hi.

UPGRADE: to 5.1.27.r117883 works.
(I spell relief r117883:)

DETAILS: Upgraded to 5.1.26 on or around 09/09/17. Soon noticed intermittent error mssgs hitting at different times during bootup cycle or in one case while running. This occurring on two different VB-XP's, both VB's running under same Win 7 host.

Found this thread on a Search. It showed up as Linux Guest. It is for certain a WinXP issue too.

Thank you for fix!!!

-MarkDavid