Macchanger and internet issues

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
SchoolboyQ

Macchanger and internet issues

Post by SchoolboyQ »

I am somewhat new to linux and am having a few issues. I am in Kali Linux but whenever i change my mac address using macchanger i can no longer load webpages or use anything that requires internet such as a vpn or proxy. However when i change my mac back to the original one im able to access the internet. Any help would be great. Thanks.

im using the command.

Code: Select all

macchanger -r eth0
My mac succesfully changes as when i check in ifconfig i can see it has changed.

Ive even went as far as to trying different versions of kali and nothing ive been doing seems to be working
Im using bridged adapter option but have also tried NAT.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Macchanger and internet issues

Post by socratis »

I deleted your duplicate post from the "Windows Hosts" section. Duplicates are not allowed.

Why do you believe that this is a VirtualBox issue? I would think that if an IP address is given to a specific MAC address and then that MAC address changes, that would invalidate the IP, no?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SchoolboyQ

Post by SchoolboyQ »

Didnt necessarily mean it was a VB issue I was looking for general troubleshooting help. Im new to linux and was watching a Virtual box/linux beginners guide and got stuck at mac address spoofing. Is there a solution to the issue you described, i didnt really understand what you meant.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Virtualbox doesn't support changing MAC addresses from inside the VM.
There was a thread about this some time ago.
SchoolboyQ

Post by SchoolboyQ »

But im watching a video of a guy doing it right now?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Then I suggest you post a question on the guy's video. AFAIK what Martin says is correct. The hardware emulated by a VirtualBox VM does not provide a "soft" MAC. In fact, AFAIK, in general MAC addresses are not programmable, as that would defeat the purpose.