CentOS 7.3 Custom Kernel - Guest Additions Problem

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
awdorrin

CentOS 7.3 Custom Kernel - Guest Additions Problem

Post by awdorrin »

I have a fresh CentOS 7.3 install, where I first did a 'yum update' to get all of the latest updates.
I then downloaded the kernel-rt source from CERN

I was able to successfully build and install the kernel, the only modification I made was for RedHat Bug 1430353
which I was encountering when doing a checkout from an SVN repo.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to install the VirtualBox Guest additions. I'm getting the following in /var/log/vboxadd-install.log
grep: /lib/modules/3.10.0-rt/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.10.0-rt/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.o modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo > &2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo > &2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo > &2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";\
echo > &2;
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.o/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scrips/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
make[2]: *** No rule to make target '/tmp/vbox.0/VBoxGuest-linux.o', needed by '/tmp/vbox.o/vboxguest.o'. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [vboxguest] Error 2
Creating user for the Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for the Guest Addtions kernel module.
Based on my research, I think the first grep is not really an error, it is just looking for the existence of version.h to determine the version of the kernel.
The second 'make KBUILD_VERBOSE' looks like an error, because of all the echos, but the echo output is not being generated, and those two files exist (autoconf.h and auto.conf) so I think I am ok there.

The problem seems to be with the 'No rule to make target'.

I am using VBOXADDTIONS_4.2.12_84980, with VirtualBox Version 4.2.12 r84980, which I believe is the latest client.

Has anyone run into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Al
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: CentOS 7.3 Custom Kernel - Guest Additions Problem

Post by Martin »

awdorrin wrote:I am using VBOXADDTIONS_4.2.12_84980, with VirtualBox Version 4.2.12 r84980, which I believe is the latest client.
4.2.12 is from April 2013, not exactly "the latest"... ;)
Get the current 5.1.22 from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and try again.
awdorrin

Post by awdorrin »

Oh jeez - thanks for the catch on that. I was using the 'check for updates' within the VBox Manager, and it kept telling me it was up to date.

After updating VirtualBox to 5.1.22, restarting the VM, and attempting to install the Guest Additions (5.1.22) again, I unfortunately got the same error message
awdorrin

Post by awdorrin »

It appears I didn't install my first kernel rebuild properly.

After starting over, following the instructions from these two pages: I was able to install the guest additions on the first try.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Thanks for reporting back!