[vboxsf (only) fixed] Fedora KDE 25 vs. GA 5.1.22

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
codecomplete

[vboxsf (only) fixed] Fedora KDE 25 vs. GA 5.1.22

Post by codecomplete »

Host is Windows 10 Creator's edition, 64-bit. Guest is Fedora 25 KDE edition. VB is at 5.1.22. Everything is 64-bit, in fact.

This installs well without guest additions. After compiling them in, one can boot and log in but only some video features are rendered and nothing responds to mouse clicks. Resizing the containing VB window gives you a black screen. Flashes of the correct video appear while resizing, but this doesn't stay put. You must exit by rudely powering off- no commands of any kind can be entered, and you can't get a terminal.

If you untick the 3D acceleration, then you can boot and the video works correctly. The video is now without acceleration, of course, so there are some things you can't do there.

The shared folders work, but Dolphin, and anything using Dolphin services, like Gwenview for example, cannot see any files in directories under the top level shared folder itself. I installed Thunar for kicks, and it does see all the files and directory structure just as it should. In fact, everything does- except Dolphin.

So vboxvideo loads but can't be used accelerated. vboxsf loads but Dolphin can only see top level files and directories.

Logs attached. First with an updated system freshly installed, no attempt to add GA. Then the failed GA with 3D on. Then the (mostly) working system with GA 3D accel turned off.
Attachments
Fedora-KDE-logs.zip
Logs just after install, after Guest Additions, then with 3D accel turned off
(86.33 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by codecomplete on 27. Jul 2017, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
codecomplete

Re: Fedora KDE 25 vs. GA 5.1.22

Post by codecomplete »

Nothing changed here with 5.1.22 -> 5.1.24.

vboxvideo disagrees with the KDE window manager w/3D enabled AND vboxsf does not allow Dolphin to see any files in directories below the base of the shared file tree. For vboxsf, this is true even without 3D video.
codecomplete

Re: Fedora KDE 25 vs. GA 5.1.26

Post by codecomplete »

With the release of 5.1.26, there is a positive change. Still not quite there.

With Fedora 25 KDE, one must still untick "3D Accel" in Settings. The standard K window manager does not run with 3D on.

However, vboxsf is fixed. Dolphin can normally browse a shared VB folder. Gwenview can browse a share correctly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [vboxsf (only) fixed] Fedora KDE 25 vs. GA 5.1.22

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the feedback!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.