Mousewheel doesn't work while moving mouse

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dood

Mousewheel doesn't work while moving mouse

Post by dood »

BUG: Mousewheel doesn't work while moving mouse.
I have to hold the mouse perfectly still in order for the mousewheel to work. (extremely frustrating to work like this)

Steps to reproduce:
guest additions installed and mouse integration turned on.

If you turn off mouse integration, mouse wheel works correctly. (which is not really an option since that brings other annoyances while working)

Thanks,
- Randy
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mousewheel doesn't work while moving mouse

Post by socratis »

NOT a bug. It works just fine.
With or without mouse integration.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ClemensGroepl

Post by ClemensGroepl »

Same problem here.

A few days ago I did a fresh install
of linuxmint-18.2-mate-64bit.iso guest
on virtualbox version 5.1.26 r117224 (Qt5.6.2)
on windows 10 host
with latest guest additions (I first deinstalled the ones provided by mint, then installed the ones provided bythe virtualbox.)

* Scrolling with mouse wheel does not work e.g. in mate-terminal, but also not in the start menu -- unless I hold the mouse up in the air! If there is even the slightest mouse movement, it won't scroll.
* Scrolling with mouse wheel works in chromium and intellij IDEA

Same issue also with linuxmint-18.2-kde-64bit.iso . Installed the same way on the same host using a fresh virtual disk etc.

Please tell me what other information I can provide to support resolving this issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Any "fancy" mouse drivers on the host? Any helper applications?
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ClemensGroepl

Post by ClemensGroepl »

Latest VBox.log is attached as a zip.
I'm not aware of any "fancy" mouse drivers - this is a laptop provided by the company, with their own brew of Windows 10 freshly installed a few weeks ago.

For this test, I did the scrolling check in a mate-terminal, both with mouse movement on the desk and with "mouse in the air". ;-)

Perhaps I should mention that the other installation (with mint kde) was tested with konsole (which is the KDE standard terminal app).
Attachments
VBox.zip
latest vbox log zpped, test on mint mate
(30.55 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I wasn't expecting to see anything weird in the VBox.log, I just thought of removing that "parameter" from the equation. Again, I believe that it is something that starts at the host, not in the "translation" in VirtualBox. Check what processes/programs/services you have running on your host.

And I really don't like that Air-Jordan thing... ;)
ClemensGroepl

Post by ClemensGroepl »

Ok, so I'll try to locate the issue on the host. But this can take a few weeks because I don't expect support from their side.
ClemensGroepl

Post by ClemensGroepl »

I just reproduced the issue in vmware ... oh la la
karlkras
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by karlkras »

So I've been hunting through the google jungle on this issue and all have seemed to ended up at this point, it also happens in VMWare.
So if this is true, does this provide any sort of hint as to where the problem is?
Given the number of posts about this it doesn't seem be an isolated issue.

regards,
Karl
Please, I'm disturbed.
ClemensGroepl

Post by ClemensGroepl »

Today I did a couple of experiments because our IT asked me to check if adding a second mouse and attaching it directly to the VM using the virtualbox USB settings is an option. Well ... I tried that.

It turns out that the wheel of the second mouse works inside the VM - but moving the mouse is then handicapped because the two mice interfere and that makes many "interesting" effects.

More noticable:
I also found out that the wheel mouse does work if I turn off mouse pointer integration.
Korkman
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Debian Linux

Post by Korkman »

It seems libinput *ignores* scroll button events from one device while another device sends movement events, which is the case for mouse integration: the virtual touchpad sends (tons of) movement updates, while the virtual ps/2 mouse scrollwheel sends button events. With mouse integration disabled, both events are sent by the same virtual ps/2 mouse. Most notably, both libinput-debug-events and xev receive events correctly in all cases.

As a workaround, I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-libinput and installed xserver-xorg-input-evdev instead. This solved the issue for me.

See also viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79002#p401248 for a config based way to disable libinput.