VB can’t install Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Yean

VB can’t install Guest Additions

Post by Yean »

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxadd.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxadd.service.
vboxadd.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong.
vboxadd.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong.
vboxadd.sh: failed: modprobe vboxguest failed.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxadd-service.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxadd-service.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxadd-x11.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxadd-x11.service.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VB can’t install Guest Additions

Post by Perryg »

Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong.
Did you do what was suggested above? Care to share it with us?
Pop717

Post by Pop717 »

Pls. suggest .
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I am afraid there is nothing to suggest. We need data to diagnose what might be going wrong and a complete description of the issue.
Pop717

Post by Pop717 »

I got ther same problem.
i'd already installed linux headers and got VBoxLinuxAdditions.run , cp to desktop and install(./)
during installing additional modules ...
vboxadd.sh: Starting the VirtualBox Guest Additions.
Failed to set up service vboxadd, please check the log file
/var/log/VBoxGuestAddition.log for details.

the detail message inside is same as Yean's post above.
i'm newbie pls. suggest. i can't post www bynow.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

/var/log/VBoxGuestAddition.log for details.
Same suggestion then. Look at the above log and if you can't figure it out then post it here ( as an attachment )
It might also help if you post the guest log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
mingle

Post by mingle »

I had the same issue when trying to install the latest Kernel (4.12.0) on my Linux Mint 18.2 Guest install.

The vboxadd.sh would fail to build or start...

After a bit of judicious Googling I discovered that there's an issue/bug with the Guest Additional and the latest Kernel.

I downloaded a test build .iso of the latest Guest Additions (5.1.23) and used this to re-install them on my Linux Mint guest
and it worked fine. Obviously this is a pre-release/test version of the .iso, so the usual disclaimers apply :-)

Here's the direct link to the .iso file:

https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... ox-extpack

Cheers,

Mike.
frankfar

Post by frankfar »

I have the same issue when trying to install Guest Additions on a Debian Stretch 9.1.0 guest.
I was able to install Virtual Box v5.1.26 on my Windows 7 64-bit host and Debian Stretch as a
guest without any issues. When I attempt to install Guest Additions, the installation fails. The
log files show the following information.

VBoxGuestAddtions.log:
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxadd-x11.service →
/lib/systemd/system/vboxadd-x11.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxadd.service →
/lib/systemd/system/vboxadd.service.
vboxadd.sh: failed:
Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong.
vboxadd.sh: failed: modprobe vboxguest failed.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxadd-service.service →
/lib/systemd/system/vboxadd-service.service.

vboxadd-install.log:
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.1.26/src/vboxguest-5.1.26/build_in_tmp: 67:
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.1.26/src/vboxguest-5.1.26/build_in_tmp: make: not found
Creating user for the Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.

I installed the GCC and linux-headers-amd64 packages needed to support the build process.
The log file seems to indicate that I am missing a make package. I am relatively new at this.
Can someone confirm that this is the actual problem and, if it is, which package to I need and
where do I get it??

Thanks for your help.
frankfar

Post by frankfar »

As mentioned in my previous post, I ran into problems with installing Guest Additions on a
Debian Stretch 9.1.0 guest. After doing some research, I found that I needed to install the
build-essential and module-assistant packages and then run m-a prepare before running the
./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run script that installs Guest Additions. After doing this, I was able to
install and run Guest Additions without any further problems.