Cinnamon vs. Intel graphics vs. Guest Additions 5.1.22

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
codecomplete

Cinnamon vs. Intel graphics vs. Guest Additions 5.1.22

Post by codecomplete »

On a Dell OptiPlex 3010, using the integrated Intel HD Graphics chipset, the installation of Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 works OK in VirtualBox.

Then the vboxvideo.ko from the normal release of VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.1.22 shows up.

After that is installed, you get a comical 'stop motion' effect. Typing into a terminal, you get a burst of characters five seconds after you type them, then another burst, and so on. Needless to say, not in any way a usable system.
The old kernel modules installed by Mint are successfully purged.
The display manager (greeter) is OK (typing normal.) When the window manager loads, Cinnamon v3.2.7, the video is correct but has the 'stop motion' effect.

The host is Windows 10 64-bit. Guest is Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit. VirtualBox is the standard and current release of 5.1.22 64-bit.

The host's video driver cannot be upgraded. It is pegged as the latest version already.

Ubuntu 16.04 works fine on the same host. Fedora MATE 25 works fine on the same host. Both with the same guest additions.
Fedora 25 Cinnamon has the exact same problem. Fedora uses a different kernel but not a different Cinnamon.
Linux Mint 18.1 does run just fine against AMD Radeon R5 240 series video hardware. The same OS runs just fine against the bare metal Dell OptiPlex 3010.

You must have the right poisoned tree to see this: Intel graphics -> Cinnamon 3.2 -> VB guest additions 5.1.22.

Your current Linux guest additions do not like Cinnamon 3.2 on Intel graphics hardware. Not at all!
Attachments
Cinnamon-before-and-after.zip
Cinnamon before and after the installation of the guest additions 5.1.22
(53.41 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by codecomplete on 28. Jul 2017, 17:10, edited 2 times in total.
codecomplete

Re: Cinnamon vs. Intel graphics vs. Guest Additions 5.1.22

Post by codecomplete »

With the release of VB 5.1.24 Cinnamon is normal w/3D accel. Same computer as above; only change was to 5.1.24.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Thanks for reporting back. Do you mind changing the topic title to "[Solved] Cinnamon..."?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
codecomplete

Post by codecomplete »

Changing to "solved".
Last edited by codecomplete on 28. Jul 2017, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
codecomplete

Post by codecomplete »

With the release of 5.1.26, my original problem here is back.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Somebody really must hate you :D
What happens if you downgrade your guest additions to 5.1.24? You can download a stand alone edition of the 5.1.24 guest additions from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.24/ or if you prefer the direct link, http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 5.1.24.iso
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
codecomplete

Post by codecomplete »

Downgrading the GA to 5.1.24 without touching anything else did work. All back to normal. 3D accel ON and no issues.

So with:

Intel graphics -> Cinnamon 3.2 -> VB guest additions 5.1.22 NO
Intel graphics -> Cinnamon 3.2 -> VB guest additions 5.1.24 YES [using VB itself at 5.1.24 OR 5.1.26]
Intel graphics -> Cinnamon 3.2 -> VB guest additions 5.1.26 NO

Is this "solved" if the current GA version does not work?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

codecomplete wrote:Is this "solved" if the current GA version does not work?
Not unless the developers know about it. And the best way to let them know is if you head to the bug tracker and either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.

FYI, I have a Mint17 guest with Cinammon on OSX 10.11.6. MacBookPro 15" (2015) with AMD Radeon R9 M370X. I have not seen the problem. Most probably, it is (as you correctly pointed out) due to the Intel graphics card.

However, keep in mind the following: there is call for help from the developers for end-users to pitch in helping with the 3D support for X11 guests.
In ticket #13653, michael wrote:Just to summarise the situation: we do not currently have free developer time (as in developers with the required skills who are not already taken up with other work) to investigate this bug, much as we understand that it is annoying to the people affected. This situation might change, but that is not something we can promise. Of course, I quite understand that if this means that something else fits any individual's requirements better than VirtualBox then it is a sensible solution to use that instead.

However, the fact that VirtualBox is open source means that users who are interested have another option to get changes made, by doing the work themselves or crowd-sourcing the work. If you go this way of course, please communicate with us before starting and while doing the work, as we hate to see work go to waste due to misunderstandings like mismatches with our development style. Though this is more a fix than a feature, so likely to be easier to integrate.

See also the X11 guest 3D wiki page. Windows guest 3D is not user-maintained, but we are still rather limited in what we can do.

I would kindly request that as of now people do not add unneeded information to this ticket, such as that this is still not fixed or does not work for a given person. However, if you would like to subscribe to the ticket please add a "me too" comment, and we will delete the comment and add your nickname to the "CC" list.
codecomplete

Post by codecomplete »

Thanks for all that info. Interesting stuff.

If you have Mint 17, you ought to have (as best I recall) a version of Cinnamon prior to 3.2. I didn't have problems with VB and older Cinnamon, either.

And using Radeon R7 and R9 definitely is not a problem, either.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You have a Radeon available in your system???
Your chances of having this issue fixed are decreasing by ... the minute number of posts! :D

No, seriously now, the Intel graphics cards are not that powerful to begin with. They don't have the best quality drivers, and there are a lot of problems with them, especially in the 3D area. If you can avoid them, avoid them like the plague.
FrancoisD

Post by FrancoisD »

Hi socratis, me again :
Interesting : your MacBookPro runs an AMD Radeon while mine runs an Intel HD 4000 (in OS X 10.11.6 too)... that's maybe my problem !

Does glxgears (and others from mesa-utils) run correctly in your Mint 17 ?