Linux won't boot natively after installing Virtual Box additions (#16985)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
дима

Linux won't boot natively after installing Virtual Box additions (#16985)

Post by дима »

Hello,
I'm trying to get the following configuration work: Windows 7 + OpenSuse Linux on different partitions, BCD bootmenu entry for starting Linux or Windows at boottime. And I want to be able to run the Linux in Virtual Box on the Windows host. In earlier Setups I simply installed Linux in Virtual Box on a device, created with something like "VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /path/to/file.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 1,5" and that's it. But now the Linux will not boot natively anymore, after installing the Virtual Box additions. The boot stopps with an error "A start job is running for dev-disk-by\ ... .device" - it seems it is the filesystem driver of Virtual Box, that causes this error.

I tried to deactivate the VB-additions by disabling the related services, but no succes. Even tried other Linux distributions (Kubuntu, Xubuntu) without success. When installing Linux natively and then booting it in Virtual Box, the setup of the VB-additions fails.

Does anyone here know, why the Virtual Box additions are not longer compatible with native hardware? How can I get the desired configuration working in a reasonable way?
Leaving out the VB-additions is possible, but for working I need at least the VB display driver and the collective clipboard.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Aug 2017, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket to the title.
дима

Re: Linux won't boot natively after installing Virtual Box additions

Post by дима »

I found out, that it still works, if I don't use RAID.

So the VirtualBox Additions are not compatible with Linux' RAID driver.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux won't boot natively after installing Virtual Box additions

Post by socratis »

дима wrote:VirtualBox Additions are not compatible with Linux' RAID driver.
Thanks for the feedback!

These kinds of problems that are reproducible, should be reported to the bug tracker. Either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.

It would also help if you can post the bug report number here so other can see the progress, add information, or see the final resolution.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux won't boot natively after installing Virtual Box additions (#16985)

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for posting the ticket #.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.