Centos 7 encryption

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
todward

Centos 7 encryption

Post by todward »

I'm trying to encrypt my Centos 7.x Cinnamon desktop vm with VirtualBox 5.1.22 with Extension Pack . The Centos 7 guest gets stuck while loading the gui, but also the command line version has problems. I can replicate it on a Windows 10 and Mac Sierra host. Centos boots fine wen the system is not encrypted with Virtualbox.
Anybody run into a similar issue ?
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Centos 7 encryption

Post by socratis »

todward wrote:Centos boots fine wen the system is not encrypted with Virtualbox.
Can you explain your setup a little bit more? Start from how you installed CentOS, what you mean "encrypted", how long you let it run for, anything that can help replicate the problem, all the instructions.

Also, post a VBox.log.zip. Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
todward

Post by todward »

Thank you for the quick reply. I attached an image regarding the virtualbox encryption. I deployed it with vagrant:
"vagrant init bento/centos-7.3; vagrant up --provider virtualbox" and then added the encryption.

Thanks
Attachments
centos7-encryption.JPG
centos7-encryption.JPG (33.91 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You didn't have to include the screenshot of the encryption properties, I know what they look like.

However, the vagrant part I'm afraid is problematic. Vagrant is not VirtualBox, but relies on VirtualBox and modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own vagrant support channels.

If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox, then we can continue this discussion.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.