[Solved] Trying to access a server in Linux guest from browser

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jarvat

[Solved] Trying to access a server in Linux guest from browser

Post by jarvat »

Hello all,

I don't have much experience using virtualbox in the configuration part.

What I'm trying to do is to run Solr in the guest (Oracle Linux 7) and access Solr admin page from the host (Windows 10).

What I accomplished so far is the easy part. I successfully installed Oracle Linux 7 and Solr is also installed. I can access Solr admin page from the guest (I open a browser in the Linux session and I'm able to render the admin page).

What I am failing with now is to access that solr admin page from a broswer launched from the host.

The network configuration I enabled following some tutorials is the Bridge Adapter and set the Promiscuous mode to accept all. I tried to go through the networking chapter in the virtualbox documentation but didn't get anything clear.

Could anyone please give me a hand? Any tip, advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks.
jarvat

Re: Trying to access a server in Linux guest from browser

Post by jarvat »

I'm really sorry. It turns out it wasn't something having to do with the Virtual Box but with the OS itself. I was not aware I had to unblock the ports as I have been installing everything almost from scratch. I got the answer from a brilliant article (which I am not allowed to post yet as I've been a member here for less than a day) that I will post soon.

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Trying to access a server in Linux guest from browser

Post by mpack »

Thanks for letting us know. I'll mark the topic as solved.