wlan/wifi/wireless/Broadcom not detected on CentOS6.8 guest(Oracle VM virtualbox)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
NeverQuit

wlan/wifi/wireless/Broadcom not detected on CentOS6.8 guest(Oracle VM virtualbox)

Post by NeverQuit »

Hi,
Details:
Host: Windows 10(HP Pavilion laptop) & Wifi running fine and working on Windows10
Network controller :Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter (with DLINK router)
Guest:CentOS 6.8 64 bit minimal(on Oracle virtual box ) with issue(issue: wlan/wifi not detected)

I have tried lot of things from the internet with NO LUCK(doesnt detect the wlan)!
$iwconfig (no wireless extensions)
$lspci (doesnt show wlan/Broadcom)

Tried these on Virtualbox with NO SUCCESS:
1.Settings: Network:Adapter2 : Intel*desktop(Bridged Adapter, Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter)-doesnt work
2.Settings: USB: USB device Filters:Broadcom Corp. BCM43142A0 Bluetooth device(err: Failed to attach USB device;is busy with previous request)

Kindly help ASAP!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: wlan/wifi/wireless/Broadcom not detected on CentOS6.8 guest(Oracle VM virtualbox)

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox does not present a virtual wireless card to your virtual machine, only virtual wired cards. The virtual hardware presented on your virtual machine has absolutely nothing to do with the physical hardware.

The only exception is if you use a USB wireless adapter which you could capture in your guest.

In theory, if your host's wireless adapter is a USB device, you could disable it completely from the host and use it in your guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.