Vbox modules may be causing boot failure after installing Manjaro Linux Guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
lenticular
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Multiple Windows, Mac OS X, multiple Linux

Vbox modules may be causing boot failure after installing Manjaro Linux Guest

Post by lenticular »

Howdy, I'm trying to install and run a Manjaro Linux guest on VirtualBox 5.1.22 (Win 7 SP1 host). However, on the first boot after the Manjaro install (which appeared to be successful), the boot process got stuck at a blinking cursor and did not finish.

Errors and messages:
Near the start of the boot process, there was an error message about the Kernel Module Load (systemd-modules-load) failing to start.
Near the end, there were many repeated messages about the LightDM service being started and stopped, until finally there was just an error saying that starting the Light DM service failed. Both error messages mentioned looking at output from

Code: Select all

systemctl status <service name>
, which I did. Here's the output:

systemctl status systemd-modules-load:
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since <date and time of boot>
Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
         man:modules-load.d(5)
Process: 382 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 382 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

systemctl status lightdm.service:
lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:lightdm(1)
Doesn't look like vbox had anything to do with this, right? Not quite. While I was investigating with someone from the Manjaro team, I happened to run

journalctl -xe
and came across this:

systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
kernel: vboxguest: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout (this message repeated 5 more times)
systemd-modules-load(382): Failed to insert 'vboxguest': Exec format error
systemd-modules-load(382): Failed to insert 'vboxsf': Exec format error
systemd-modules-load(382): Failed to insert 'vboxvideo': Exec format error
systemd-modules-load(382): Failed to insert 'vboxvideo': Exec format error
systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
So it seems these are somehow connected. Again, this all happened on the very first reboot after installing Manjaro Linux on the VM.

Also, I've attached a copy of the vminfo. Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks for any help you can give!
Attachments
vminfo.txt
info for Manjaro Linux guest
(3.65 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Vbox modules may be causing boot failure after installing Manjaro Linux Guest

Post by socratis »

1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved or paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP IT and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I have a Manjaro VM myself, so it should be pretty straightforward to compare, like I did with your VMinfo... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lenticular

Re: Vbox modules may be causing boot failure after installing Manjaro Linux Guest

Post by lenticular »

Alright, here's the log you requested. Hopefully it will point to the problem here. Please let me know what you find. Thanks!
Attachments
manjaro test-2017-06-03-09-10-50.zip
(21.47 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

lenticular wrote:Doesn't look like vbox had anything to do with this, right?
lenticular wrote:

lenticular wrote: So it seems these are somehow connected.
Actually not at all. Manjaro is Arch-based. Arch is providing their own vbox* modules, they're not the ones provided by VirtualBox itself. As such, the only connection between them, besides sharing the same name, is the fact that one is a fork of the other. I'm afraid you have to talk to the Manjaro team about that...

The only thing that I noticed in your logs is the fact that you changed the default for the network card from Intel 1000 to PCNet. I don't even know why you'd do something like that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

"Exec format error" usually means the kernel and some of the packages are out of sync/compatibility. I would do a complete upgrade and try again.
lenticular

Post by lenticular »

Socratis, I had changed the network card from Intel 1000 to PCNet because using Bridged networking with the PCNet-FAST III card had worked just about OOTB for every other distro I've installed, so I figured it would work here. Apparently not. So, I'll try it with the Intel 1000.

As for your main response, I can't say I'm surprised to get the "you should go talk to their guys", but I've already talked to folks at Manjaro, and they're the ones who sent me here.

SOMEONE, either here or there, has to know what this problem is and how to fix it. Socratis, you said you have a Manjaro VM. Have you had this problem yourself before? Do you use any special tweaks for the VM settings? Would it be possible for you to set up a test VM and try installing the Manjaro MATE iso and see if you can reproduce it?

In the meantime, I'll also get back with the folks at Manjaro and see if I can get more info/help from them.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's funny that the Manjaro guys pointed you here, since it is well known that they build their own Guest Additions (GAs). All Arch people do. I have a Manjaro VM, and I did not install the official VirtualBox GAs just for this reason.

I installed "manjaro-xfce-16.10.3-stable-x86_64", and I believe the only thing I changed was the vCPUs (2) and the RAM (1536 MB).
lenticular

Post by lenticular »

Yeah, I also got the xfce version to work just fine, with no problems. Seems like it's a problem with just the MATE version. I'll get with them and see if we can hash this out, then reply back here to let you know what I find out, so please keep this thread open for now. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Oh, so I guess I was lucky then? ;)
It certainly sounds like a packaging problem with the MATE flavor.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Don't forget to give my suggestion a little credence. I have seen the error before and it has always been a package out of sync with the kernel. Search for "vboxguest: Exec format error" and check it out yourself. or just "Exec format error" for a broader selection of what can be a cause.