No Mouse cursor for RHEL 7.3 in VirtualBox

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
teidelu

No Mouse cursor for RHEL 7.3 in VirtualBox

Post by teidelu »

Hello all.
I am emulating as a guest system Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL) 7.3 in VirtualBox 5.1.22r115126 running onto Win7 system (host OS).
Guest Additions have been installed. The graphical environment starts, but if I click within VBox window, the usual message about mouse capturing
is shown (that already sounds strange to me because Guest additions are installed). If I click within the window the mouse cursor is simply not visible anymore and
that leads me to an unusable situation. Moreover a version of CentOS7.3 running on the very same installation of virtualbox runs graphical environment flawlessly.
Could please someone suggest me some hints for further investigation? I tried to google the problem, but I did not find anything useful until now.
I would also like to check mouse settings in RHEL but I should do this from command line, because of the above argumentations.
Another thing worth noting here is that on the VBox window in the "Input" section the nouse integration choice is "ghost".

Thank you in Advance,
/Alessandro.
Attachments
vbox_capture.JPG
vbox_capture.JPG (88.59 KiB) Viewed 8053 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No Mouse cursor for RHEL 7.3 in VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

Could you make sure that the mouse is set to "USB Tablet" in the VM settings?
teidelu wrote:that already sounds strange to me because Guest additions are installed
We'll need to see some proof of that.
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
teidelu wrote:that leads me to an unusable situation
No, it's not unusable. It's annoying. You still can use it ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
teidelu

Post by teidelu »

So,
mouse settings were (wrongly) set to PS/2.
I changed them to USB tablet as you kindly suggested.
The effect was that I do not see anymore the message for mouse capture but if I am hovering the VirtualBox window, the mouse cursor
simply become not visible, and the situation remains the same even if I click (approximately, since I do not see the cursor) in VBox Window area.
I attach VBox.log file as it was requested.

Thank you in advance!

/Alessandro.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(27.29 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

teidelu wrote: mouse settings were (wrongly) set to PS/2.
I'm sorry, but that's not what the log said. Did you capture the log after you made that change?

Also, could you shutdown the VM, disable 3D acceleration in the VM settings » Display and reboot the VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
teidelu

Post by teidelu »

Ok, sorry for the inconvenience.
Now I disavled 3D acceleration and repeated the procedure.
The mouse integration icons signal taht is active but still I do not see mouse pointer
hovering over VirtualBox window.
I enclose the new log.

Kind Regards,
/Alessandro.

[Mod edit: log removed. Wrong one]
teidelu

Post by teidelu »

Sorry, the logfile in my previous message was plainly wrong.
It refers to a tenative setting the mouse to USB multi touch.
I repeated the session with the correct settings (mouse set to USB Tablet) and the log is reported here.
Sorry for the inconvenience,
/Alessandro.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(24.39 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Take a look at two ticket, https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16788 and https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16562 and see if they sound familiar.