Black Screen with Fedora

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
IgorMadeira

Black Screen with Fedora

Post by IgorMadeira »

Hey, good afternoon :)

So i'm having a problem instaling a new Virtual Machine with the Fedora. This VM is only ment to test and learn how to use Ubuntu SO's before i install it defenitly in my host machine. So the problem is this; After i configure my VM, i tried to install the SO, and it gives a "black screen" .

I'm unable to post links, to the print of the error, where i downloaded the fedora and for the pastebin with the log. So if anyone can help me, send me pm i will send you the links for those things. (Since its my first day and post, the forum itself doesnt let me post links).
Version of the Virtual Box: 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5 6.2)

So, my question is: Am i doing something wrong? If i am, what is it? Is there any fix?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Black Screen with Fedora

Post by Perryg »

First question, you state SO, do you mean OS which is the abbreviation for Operating System?

After explaining, post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.

Note: no need for external links. Use the upload attachment feature ( below the reply window ) if you must post images.
IgorMadeira

Post by IgorMadeira »

Yeah. My bad, when i said SO its OS (abreviation on my native languague, my bad guys :) )

Thanks for the info about the messages. Here it is the logfile :)
Attachments
LabTest-2017-05-24-14-59-44.log
LogFile
(97.15 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You need to first free up some host RAM. You are committing more memory to the guest than you have available.
  • 00:00:02.230679 Host RAM: 4095MB (3.9GB) total, 816MB available
    00:00:02.372168 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000040000000 (1 073 741 824, 1 024 MB)
IgorMadeira

Post by IgorMadeira »

Even after, i'm not using anything. (Chrome, and other programs closed.) The VB still continues to do the same, it passes the first stage (Window saying Virtual Box, and something about waiting 60s or press any key). The problem still persists. I will upload a new Log.

Edit: I waited 5min. So i dont think is about i'm not being patient enough :)
Attachments
LabTest-2017-05-24-17-31-36.log
(97.17 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I see you have IOAPIC disabled. What happens if you enable it?

Perry's observation about RAM use is still valid btw. Your new log shows this is no longer a problem, but you need to keep it that way, even if that wasn't your only problem.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I wouldn't think IOAPIC would matter with i386, but you never know. Can't hurt to try. I do see that the host is under powered and while you should be able to get this to work it will take a bit of time for the boot to actually happen. Also depending on the DT you are trying to use on the guest you probably need to enable 3D acceleration ( after the initial install ) to get any speed at all. If you look it took 28 seconds to get to the point where the guest is loading the initial files to be able to install and knowing Fedora you might need 1.5GB at least for the initial install.
IgorMadeira

Post by IgorMadeira »

Thanks for the help, after the last changes you guys talked about,i was able to make it run. This is only temporary as i know perfectly that my "toaster" isnt good enough to be used like this :D ... Its an instalation to see if i can get along with this OS. If i get along i will format my windows and start using Fedora. Thanks guys :D ... This was really helpfull _o_