Portions of display garbled with 3D Acceleration

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
aurelius

Portions of display garbled with 3D Acceleration

Post by aurelius »

Hi,
My setup is VirtualBox (v5.1.22) on Windows 10. I'm running Linux Mint with Cinnamon in the Virtual Box. When I enable 3D Acceleration, I get strange garbled artifacts on portions of the screen. See attached screenshot. I have already made sure all Mint updates are included. I have also added the guest additions, and tried uninstalling and reinstalling those. Interestingly, I have a separate Ubuntu with Unity desktop, and it performs fine with 3D acceleration, so it just seems to be this Mint Cinnamon install. Any ideas of what I might try?
screenshot
screenshot
2017-05-22_21-08-04.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Portions of display garbled with 3D Acceleration

Post by socratis »

It's the 3D acceleration with Linux (X11) guests. For more information on the situation at hand, please see: 3D support for X11 guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
aurelius

Post by aurelius »

Thank you for the response! So, from reading that article, it sounds like it's something I will be unlikely able to fix?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Make sure the pixel color depth (e.g. 32bpp) is the same on both host and guest.
infinityronin

Post by infinityronin »

I had this same problem, and it might be an issue with something Cinnamon is doing. I installed Cinnamon on Ubuntu, and had the same problem as in Mint. Not sure what Cinnamon is doing that would cause it though. I don't experience this issue in Unity or Gnome.
aurelius

Post by aurelius »

infinityronin, that's exactly my experience. Ubuntu with Unity doesn't have this issue, nor does Gnome. Something with Cinnamon specifically. I might just give up on Cinnamon and stick with the others (it's a shame, as I like Cinnamon the best).
infinityronin

Post by infinityronin »

Agreed, I am also a big fan of Cinnamon. I ended up just going with the standard Ubuntu Unity install, especially since according to the post above, x11 is now user supported.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I run cinnamon on just about every distro I test. So I am wondering why the issue? I saw the post about x11 and all that but to tell you the truth I have had very few issues with the exception of beta and release candidates. How about seeing a guest log of the offending version ( as an attachment )?

You cold also post the /var/log/vboxadd-install.log and the /var/log/xorg.0.log ( also as an attachment )

One other thing that could shed some light is the results of "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" from the guests terminal.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Oh and I am moving this to Linux guests for now.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Most probably it's an OpenGL extension that is not supported by the host's graphics hardware/software. I've seen it happening a long time ago (maybe 4-5 years ago) with Ubuntu 12.04. It then became worse with 14.04, and it was getting worse with every new Ubuntu release. It got resolved slowly over time with newer VirtualBox releases.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
aurelius

Post by aurelius »

@Perryg , I apologize for the delay in responding, the email notifications for this forum weren't working quite right (probably user error on my part).

I have attached the requested logs: Guest log, vboxadd-install.log , xorg.0.log

Let me tell you it was a real trick getting these logs with how I could barely see anything on the Screen :D

Also here is a screenshot of the glxinfo | grep OpenGL
opengl
opengl
2017-06-08_9-29-39.png (20.44 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
Attachments
mint-logs-060817.zip
logs
(35.1 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

00:00:02.486123 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_dd1c44b0014d87bf\nvinitx.dll: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on '\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_dd1c44b0014d87bf\nvinitx.dll'
00:00:02.486284 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_dd1c44b0014d87bf\nvinitx.dll' (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_dd1c44b0014d87bf\nvinitx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
00:00:02.981787 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   Intel
00:00:02.981800 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
00:00:02.981803 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  4.4.0 - Build 21.20.16.4627
I think the above will answer your issue. It shows two GPU adapters one nvidia and one intel. This is usually because you have a laptop and for battery conversation it uses the high graphics adapter on demand to conserve the battery. Looking at the log it shows there to be a verify issue with the nvidia which I would think is the high graphics one. I would see about remedying this issue of the chaining and also look at the proper way to tell the laptop to always use the high graphics adapter when using a guest.
aurelius

Post by aurelius »

Yes, you are right. I have a Dell XPS 15 which has the dedicated NVIDIA GPU. I'll dig into figuring out how to tell the laptop to always use the high graphics adapter when using Guest. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm sure the answer is somewhere in these forums. Thanks!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Actually it probably is not in this forum. I would look at the dell forums for information about both issues I posted. The chaining issue and the proper selection of the adapter.
aurelius

Post by aurelius »

Alrighty, will do. Thanks!