Share folder SUSE SLES 12 SP2

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
pejtrik

Share folder SUSE SLES 12 SP2

Post by pejtrik »

Hello everyone,

I have a VM with the Linux SLES 12 SP2 but I'm not able to see the share folder. Can anyone help me please. I've checked many topics but nothing was helpful. And I really need it without this I can't move.

I'm using Vbox 5.1.20.

Thank you very much
Patrik
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Share folder SUSE SLES 12 SP2

Post by scottgus1 »

What shared folder are you having trouble seeing? Is it a real shared folder through a network? or is it passed through by Guest Additions? And what host OS do you have?
pejtrik

Post by pejtrik »

scottgus1 wrote:What shared folder are you having trouble seeing? Is it a real shared folder through a network? or is it passed through by Guest Additions? And what host OS do you have?
I have connected share folder through virtual box options

Host system has win7

Patrik
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, good. This shared folder is a Guest Additions shared folder. You will need to have Guest Additions installed in the guest. Once you have this, use your guest's network system to look for the "vboxsvr" server on the network. Your shared folder will be there.

Note that since you are using a Linux guest I would not be able to tell you how to do any of this stuff, I'm a Windows guy. Also, note that Guest Additions shared folders are only for copying files between host and guest, not for running programs or opening documents or accessing databases. If you want to do anything more with the shared folder besides transferring files to and from the guest's virtual drive, you will need to make a real shared folder over a real network between the host and guest, not a Guest Additions shared folder.
pejtrik

Post by pejtrik »

And this a problem. I think that I there is a some problem with guest additions. When I'm trying to reinstall them it give me this error.

here from the log file

I've tried everything what I found but nothing helped, maybe it's some new solutions.

Anyway if anybody know how to create a network share folder, I don't have problem with this. But I need any solutions.

Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Once you make a network between host and guest, you can do anything you can do on a real network. See section 6 in the Virtualbox manual.

If you want your guest to look like another PC on your network, use Virtualbox's Bridged*. The guest will get an IP address from the network just like the host does, and all other PCs can access the guest just like they can do with each other. Bridged will also pass the host's internet connection into the guest.

* Bridged doesn't always work with Wi-Fi, due to poorly-written host Wi-Fi adapter drivers and/or wireless access point firmware. If it works, good. If it doesn't, even after updating the Wi-Fi adapter card driver, then you won't be able to Bridge with Wi-Fi.

If you are failing to Bridge with Wi-Fi, or you just want the host and guest to network, use Host Only. Your host will have a special private virtual network adapter, defaulting to an IP address of 192.168.56.1, and the guest will get an IP address in the 192.168.56.### range. Use those IP addresses to pass data on the network.

If you have to use Host-Only, and also want internet in the guest, add a second adapter to the guest's Virtualbox settings, and set it to NAT.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Also, installing Guest Additions on a Linux guest doesn't seem to be as easy as on a Windows guest. There's other things to type. Look into the manual, also look in the Linux Guests subforum.
pejtrik

Post by pejtrik »

I know how to configure network etc.

I have other VM with SLES 11 SP3 and there is everything running properly.

But in SLES 12 it's not running and I would like to know why? And how can I fixed that.

I don't understand why in one system it's running properly and in second one not.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Make a new post on your problem in "Linux Guests". Windows Hosts won't be able to help you much more.
pejtrik

Post by pejtrik »

OK thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Actually moving this to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts" is easier and it already has all the background info.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.