NAT Network Question

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
MikeGreene
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: eCS, OS/2, DOS, Win XP, 7, 10, ReactOS

NAT Network Question

Post by MikeGreene »

I am taking a class which required me to setup 3 SEED VMs, specifically a DNS attack lab (http://www.cis.syr.edu/~wedu/seed/Labs_ ... DNS_Local/). I used 3 SEED VMs on a NAT network and all three VMs can ping each other and use the target DNS machine. However, running the attack tool netwag/netwox number 105 does not work from the attack system to the user system. I can initiate the attack locally on the user system and the result is as expected. I was wondering if this issue has something to do with VBox NAT Network. The host system is a Gentoo desktop running VBox 5.1.8.

Mike
Perryg
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: NAT Network Question

Post by Perryg »

If I were doing this I would not use nat network. Internal will act like a switch for the guests and keep the local lan and host out so they remain safe. So try intnet and see if it will work for you.
MikeGreene
Guest OSses: eCS, OS/2, DOS, Win XP, 7, 10, ReactOS

Post by MikeGreene »

Okay, I will give that a try. I did switch all the VMs to NAT from NAT Network and when I started them all three came up with the same IP (see attached), is that normal?

Mike
Attachments
vbnat.png
vbnat.png (98.26 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Yes. VBox NAT is an isolation protocol. None of the guest or host can see them by default.