Fedora 25 DragDrop not working Seamless partial works

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
richard378

Fedora 25 DragDrop not working Seamless partial works

Post by richard378 »

I am using Windows 10 Host and clibboard works, but drag and drop does not.
Seamless mode shows only running programs. No toolbars to start new programs in the guest Fedora. I have to switch out of seamless mode to start programs and back into seamless mode wile using them.

How do I get drag and drop to work? It is enabled as bidirectional in settings and ran VBoxClient --draganddrop.

How do I get seamless mode to work correctly showing the toolbar on the top of the screen?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Fedora 25 DragDrop not working Seamless partial works

Post by socratis »

• Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
richard378

Post by richard378 »

Sorry I have been offline a long time.
Very sorry.

I did a more through observe error with this log.

I notice it says "Rejecting 'seamless' as is it not yet supported..."

and this:
00:00:20.988043 VMMDev: Guest Additions capability report: (0x0 -> 0x0) seamless: no, hostWindowMapping: no, graphics: no

I am wondering what this means? Guest additions installed but not usable?

Richard
Attachments
Fedora-2017-05-28-12-21-19.zip
(42 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. richard378 wrote:clibboard works, but drag and drop does not.
    Look into your /tmp directory for the dropped files. Are they there?

There are still some issues to be ironed in the Linux guests. I'm always operating under the assumption that DnD is not available. Neither shared folders for that matter. I prefer the traditional, network shares approach. DnD works there ;)
  2. richard378 wrote:seamless: no, hostWindowMapping: no, graphics: no. I am wondering what this means? Guest additions installed but not usable?
    Later on in your log you'll see "seamless: yes". That's when you actually switched to seamless. Now, fancy graphics/feature support for X11 guest is not working very well. It's a known resource issue. See: 3D support for X11 guests.
I deleted one of your posts with a log, since it was adding nothing to the description of the problem, you had DnD off. I guess that's why you posted the 2nd log ;)

And next time please do not bundle all your VirtualBox problems in one thread, it's going to make a mess of a discussion...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
richard378

Post by richard378 »

Yes the files are there in a time stamped folder inside a folder "VirtualBox Dropped Files" in the /tmp directory. So, DnD is partially working.

And my shared folders work always have, once I manually put the users in vboxsf group which should have been done automatically.. The mounting is a problem only that the machine needs to restart for auto-mount to work. Temporary folder auto-mount does not work. Manual mounting is required, but it works.

Thanks,
Richard
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

richard378 wrote:once I manually put the users in vboxsf group which should have been done automatically
What if you have multiple users? Should the additions go through each and every user? Not really the way it's done in the Linux world.
richard378 wrote:the machine needs to restart for auto-mount to work. Temporary folder auto-mount does not work
It makes sense. Auto-mount works at boot. Again, that's the way things are with the current filesystem implemented.