Frozen black screen installing Kali on Windows VPS

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Frozen black screen installing Kali on Windows VPS

Post by Perryg »

Thanks,

I am downloading the install file now and will see what might be happening. Keep in mind this is tricky at best since you are in essence running nested guests. Not that it can't work, just that it is harder.
JasonKop

Post by JasonKop »

Thanks everyone I really do appreciate your time and help being provided.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

OK this is going to take some time if it is possible at all. I tried to run kali nested to simulate your environment and it froze at the same place. I then ran it on my development machine and disabled VT-x to make it as close as possible and it failed as well. Enabling VT-x it does boot in a live session. It appears that kali is looking for something that it just can not find and is waiting for an extended period of time. I will keep looking to see what I can find but didn't want you to hold your breath.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

So this is getting really interesting to say the least. kali says you are downloading the i386 version but in reality it is i686. I also downloaded the latest Debian i386 and it is as advertised and not the i686 kernel. This boots just fine nested. This leads me to think that the kali i386 that is really i686 is where the really issue is. Perhaps you can ask the kali folks how you are supposed to boot this in a nested environment. At this point I don't see it working I am afraid and I need to move on to other projects. I might find some more time later but didn't want to leave you hanging.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

This might interest you https://www.offensive-security.com/kali ... -download/

Supposedly this should work in VirtualBox without VT-x. Not sure as it says it will take three hours to download from a torrent but it may work for you. If I do get it installed I will let you know.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Can I say just how much I hate torrents?!

After two failed 3 hours+ attempts I finally got the image and it does not work without VT-x. By default these images were built on a machine with VT-x enabled and ioapic as well, plus SMP support so I don't see it working on a VPS that can not forward the function.
JasonKop

Post by JasonKop »

I have tried the VirtualBox Image ISO's from offensive-security and they all freeze too. Its very strange, I will post of the Kali forums and see what they say about getting it to run in a nested environment.

Is there anything else i should be asking them? Do let me know if you find a solution in the meantime. Thanks
JasonKop

Post by JasonKop »

ah just read your latest message, so its a no hope for me lol hopefully if in the future someone comes across this thread and finds a solution, they could update us :)

I will message the Kali forums and get back to you.
therealex

Post by therealex »

I just had this issue. It turned out, after trying a bunch of other stuff, that it was caused by the OS being set to Ubuntu 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

I turned back on the stuff I had turned off, like PEA/NX, 3d acceleration, etc. from the default. Seems to work fine now that it has the correct OS.

Worked for me, hope it helps someone. BTW - host system is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.