My Passport Ultra Not Working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Ceasar_Blue

My Passport Ultra Not Working

Post by Ceasar_Blue »

Hello

I'm fairly new to Virtual Box and I'm trying to get my system to recognize my external hardrive ("My Passport Ultra"). I have the drive enabled, mounted and can see that the device is "checked" in devices. However, I'm unable to access it through the terminal or files and I can't find it.

I'm running virtual box 4.3.10 and Ubuntu 14.04.2.

Any help is appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: My Passport Ultra Not Working

Post by mpack »

Have you read through the USB FAQ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ceasar_Blue wrote:I'm running virtual box 4.3.10 and Ubuntu 14.04.2.
If I'm not mistaken 4.3.10 is too old to support USB3. Is your device a USB3 one? What's your guest?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ceasar_Blue

Post by Ceasar_Blue »

socratis wrote:
Ceasar_Blue wrote:I'm running virtual box 4.3.10 and Ubuntu 14.04.2.
If I'm not mistaken 4.3.10 is too old to support USB3. Is your device a USB3 one? What's your guest?
I thought that at first as well but sometimes (not regularly and with no pattern I can figure out) I can see the device. So I know it can work.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ceasar_Blue wrote:sometimes (not regularly and with no pattern I can figure out) I can see the device.
Not with USB3 you don't. Either you had it connect to a USB2 hub, or directly to a USB2 port. Please follow mpack's advice.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you plug a USB3 device into a USB3 port then it will only work with VirtualBox v5.0.0 or later, as that's when VirtualBox introduced a virtual xHCI controller. Your 4.3.10 software doesn't even have the option for xHCI in the USB tab (the only options you have there are OHCI and EHCI), so guests can't possibly use USB3 (xHCI).

Prior to v5.0.0 you could, on Windows hosts only, use the USB3 device provided you plugged it into a USB2 port. This takes advantage of the normal USB3->USB2 backwards compatibility.
Ceasar_Blue

Post by Ceasar_Blue »

Thank you very much for the insight. You guys were right. I installed a nwer version of Virtual Box and things seem to be working well.