Resize Fedora Server 25 vhd to 1TB

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
XaviLux

Resize Fedora Server 25 vhd to 1TB

Post by XaviLux »

Hello,

i still have problems with resizing my Fedora Server.vhd(located on an external HDD(2TB)) File to 1 TB. However i try to Use />vboxmanage.exe modifyhd "P:\Fedora_Server_x64.vhd" --resize 1000000</ it Stucks at 0% for Hours... But nothing more will happen... If it try to quit this action, my vhd. File would be corrupted... I tried more options but nothing has worked..
i used the Command several times ago on the vhd files... So i know, that this command is the right one. But however... it cant resize the vhd of Fedora...

The Way to relocate the File on my Host Systen(C: or D:) is not an option for me bcaus of the capacity of my internal HDD(Only 100 GB free...)

About my vhd. File:

- it is located on an external HDD(2TB)
- Running on Fedora Server 25
- it has an dynamic Size
- It was already resized to 480GB

About My Host System /Virtual Box:

- Host-Sytem: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64
- Guest on Virtual Box: Fedora Server 25 x64
Running Version of vB: 5.1.18 r114002

I Hope, that someone can help me out.
Thanks alot!

best regards,

Xavi
Last edited by XaviLux on 18. Apr 2017, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Resize Fedora Server 25 vhd to 1TB

Post by mpack »

What kind of drive is the external drive? USB2? What manufacturer? There are a lot of fake 1TB USB drives out there.

I would also question your choice of VHD format, especially when stored on a removable drive. It's just begging for future misery.
XaviLux

Post by XaviLux »

its the "WD My Passport Ultra USB 3.0", bought directly from WD. So i dont think, that the external can be the Problem?

The reason for vhd. was the free moveable Option to any running Host-System, as in the description of this FileFormat is written.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

XaviLux wrote:its the "WD My Passport Ultra USB 3.0", bought directly from WD. So i dont think, that the external can be the Problem?
Are you using it in a host USB3 port? Is it formatted for NTSC? FAT?
XaviLux wrote:The reason for vhd. was the free moveable Option to any running Host-System, as in the description of this FileFormat is written.
VDI is an open source format, host availability is not an issue. Nobody uses VHD - even Microsoft has abandoned it. It's a poor choice for almost any activity, I'm only sorry that the devs see fit to offer the option in the GUI at all.

Returning to the original problem, VirtualBox enlarges drives in place, so it usually only needs to move a 1MB block or two to the end of the file to make room for an enlarged block table. This should take moments. If it takes a long time then I suspect a hardware problem with your USB drive, or perhaps interference from AV software on your PC (which probably wouldn't happen with anything except VHD).
XaviLux

Post by XaviLux »

mpack wrote:Are you using it in a host USB3 port? Is it formatted for NTSC? FAT?
I am using the Host USB 3.0 Port & the HDD is formatted for NTFS.
mpack wrote:VDI is an open source format, host availability is not an issue. Nobody uses VHD - even Microsoft has abandoned it. It's a poor choice for almost any activity, I'm only sorry that the devs see fit to offer the option in the GUI at all.
is it an Option, if i switch the "vhd" to "vdi"? I think there is a chance zu switch the Fileformat to vdi.
mpack wrote:Returning to the original problem, VirtualBox enlarges drives in place, so it usually only needs to move a 1MB block or two to the end of the file to make room for an enlarged block table. This should take moments. If it takes a long time then I suspect a hardware problem with your USB drive, or perhaps interference from AV software on your PC (which probably wouldn't happen with anything except VHD).
That would be a weird issue. I tried the same Command on a Win 10 Host-System with a USB 3.0 Port. I got the same Issues...
Last edited by XaviLux on 18. Apr 2017, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

XaviLux wrote:
mpack wrote:Are you using it in a host USB3 port? Is it formatted for NTSC? FAT?
I am using the Host USB 3.0 Port & the HDD is formatted for NTSC.
Try formatting it as PAL/SECAM!!!
I believe that's the standard used in the majority of the world. Source: Wikipedia.

:lol:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
XaviLux

Post by XaviLux »

socratis wrote:
XaviLux wrote:
I am using the Host USB 3.0 Port & the HDD is formatted for NTSC.
Try formatting it as PAL/SECAM!!!
I believe that's the standard used in the majority of the world.

:lol:
Ahh Youre right! It worked.. Not! :roll: :)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I seem to have a wierd brain defect the last couple of years: when I mistype a word, it often gets replaced by another valid word. It's like my brain has some kind of crappy autocomplete (just like every other implementation of autocomplete!).
XaviLux

Post by XaviLux »

mpack wrote:I seem to have a wierd brain defect the last couple of years: when I mistype a word, it often gets replaced by another valid word. It's like my brain has some kind of crappy autocomplete (just like every other implementation of autocomplete!).
maybe you have to update your vocabulary :D

but back to topic: do someone know, what is the right solution to solve this weird problem? i think everything is right formatted & on the newest version... what could it be? Do i have to try to format the ".vhd" into ".vdi" via vboxmanager command?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I already gave my answer to your problem in my earlier post. My answer is the only one(s) I can think of.
mpack wrote: If it takes a long time then I suspect a hardware problem with your USB drive, or perhaps interference from AV software on your PC (which probably wouldn't happen with anything except VHD).
So, you could investigate the "hardware problem" idea by trying another drive. You can investigate the AV idea by disabling AV.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Actually, one other thing you could try is to resize the drive using CloneVDI. It will be instructive if CloneVDI gives any error messages.

Note that CloneVDI does a full clone, it does not operate "in-place". Also, features such as compaction will not work if CloneVDI doesn't recognize the partition and filesystem used. Basically it has to be MBR partitions, and FAT or NTFS or EXTx filesystem, otherwise all you get is basic disk tools same as VBoxManage.
XaviLux

Post by XaviLux »

mpack wrote:Actually, one other thing you could try is to resize the drive using CloneVDI. It will be instructive if CloneVDI gives any error messages.

Note that CloneVDI does a full clone, it does not operate "in-place". Also, features such as compaction will not work if CloneVDI doesn't recognize the partition and filesystem used. Basically it has to be MBR partitions, and FAT or NTFS or EXTx filesystem, otherwise all you get is basic disk tools same as VBoxManage.
mpack wrote:So, you could investigate the "hardware problem" idea by trying another drive. You can investigate the AV idea by disabling AV.
Thanks alot for your help Mpack! I would try your said solutions.

I'll give you Feedback, if it worked or not.

Best regards,