Network Error after recent update to vbox 5.1.18

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ren_not_stimpy

Network Error after recent update to vbox 5.1.18

Post by ren_not_stimpy »

I was hoping someone could help me debug an error I am encountering. I have 2 VMs running linux (1-Ubuntu16.04, 1-Fedora24). I hadn't updated my version of VBox for a while and was previously on 5.1.8. Now on both my VMs I am unable to get any internet access. I can ping 8.8.8.8 but not google. I "NAT"ed on both VMs. Any help debugging my issue would be much appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Network Error after recent update to vbox 5.1.18

Post by socratis »

Any chance there is a "Lavasoft*.dll" in your Windows' system directory? If so, uninstall any LavaSoft programs.

If not, follow a "start from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ren_not_stimpy

Post by ren_not_stimpy »

Any chance there is a "Lavasoft*.dll" in your Windows' system directory? If so, uninstall any LavaSoft programs.
I checked and...no.
Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I have attached the first log.
Attachments
Fedora-2017-03-28-15-06-01.zip
(28.55 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all, pinging 8.8.8.8 but not "google" is a sign of a bad DNS configuration. If you've changed nothing in your guests (which I suspect you didn't, right?) then something must have changed in your host.

You have the following as far as DNS is concerned:
00:00:12.648318 NAT: Guest address guess set to 10.0.2.15 by initialization
00:00:12.815805 NAT: DNS#0: 10.4.1.8
Now, unless your network is 10.4.1.x based and your router is 10.4.1.8 (highly unusual both of them), then something is wrong in your host's or your router's configuration.

And then we have the following in your log:

Code: Select all

00:02:29.737897 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_LDRVI_UNSUPPORTED_ARCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avsda64.dll: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_EXPIRED on '\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avsda64.dll'

00:02:29.752303 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avsda64.dll' (C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avsda64.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
This is Avira's DLL being rejected at run-time for having an expired certificate. I really don't know what that specific DLL does or doesn't do (couldn't find information on it), but either update, disable or uninstall Avira completely and see if it changes the situation.

According to an article in their website, they updated it on 2017-03-21, about a week ago. Maybe it's update time...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ren_not_stimpy

Post by ren_not_stimpy »

Hi I have been fighting other fires lately and now am circling back to this. I did something that got me one step closer but I am still not 100% there.

In my Windows host I opened a cmd prompt and ran
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm Fedora --natdnshostresolver1 on

I then started up my system and was able to both ping 8.8.8.8 and google.com. I can also run nslookup on google.com and I get..
Non-authorative answer:
Name: google.com
Address: 216.58.194.110

SO it looks like my dns is working...but, I still do not get internet access.

I tried opening firefox and going to google.com and get an error "Unable to connect" .

I also tried to run "dnf update" and now I get an error "Failed to synchronize cache with repo 'updates'.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ren_not_stimpy wrote:it looks like my dns is working...but, I still do not get internet access
I'm sorry, but if you're having a working DNS that *is* internet access. What you don't have is http access to specific website(s). That can mean a lot of things, nothing which most probably have to do anything with VirtualBox; proxies, firewalls, filters, etc. Most, if not all of them, installed on your host. Spring cleaning time...

Did you take care of the expired DLLs? Are you seeing similar messages in the VBox.log?
JamesFinTexas

Post by JamesFinTexas »

I found this thread which referred to the same issue except I'm on Windows 7 (corporate Laptop). I could ping 8.8.8.8, but ping of google failed. Lavasoft Ad-Aware was uninstalled, and immediately access to the internet from the guest domains was possible. LavaSoft caused me many hours of needless work trying to find the problem with the DNS not working from the guest domains.

Snapshot of the Vbox.1 log
00:00:15.730972 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:00:15.731752 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:00:45.453748 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_LDRVI_UNSUPPORTED_ARCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_EXPIRED on '\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll'
00:00:45.453835 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\windows\system32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll' (C:\windows\system32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190