Color calibration in Mint 18.1

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mrmistoffelees

Color calibration in Mint 18.1

Post by mrmistoffelees »

Hello! I am having issues on two different hosts - one a iMac and one a Win10 Notebook.

On both i am running Virtual Machines with Linux Mint 18.1 and every time upon startup my wallpaper/background image would be color-mismatched and appear too "bright". I think it has something to do with loading the picture during login because the workaround is to switch wallpaper images to another picture back and forth OR just change some setting in the wallpaper menu and it will show correctly upon reload.

Whilst this is not a showstopper it is somewhat annoying and i would be glad to find a solution for this.

I am running Linux Mint 18.1 native on another laptop and there i don't have these issues. So i do think it is at least to some point VirtualBox related.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Color calibration in Mint 18.1

Post by socratis »

I split your post from "Message "Running in software rendering mode"", because 1) you didn't have the issue described in the thread and 2) that thread was in "Windows Hosts", while your problem belongs to "Linux Guests". I changed also to title to something more appropriate.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mrmistoffelees

Post by mrmistoffelees »

Thanks for the split. Of course thats true i was just hoping that the former owner has found a solution he could share :)

I wanted to add that it is not picture related either: I am seeing this regardless of the image i use.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

From my trials/errors after this thread, I realized that for some reason you can't calibrate the monitor in a VM. Or at least I couldn't find a way.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Random_Consultant

Post by Random_Consultant »

I'm having this issue. Has there been a bug filed for this yet or are we the only two with this issue?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Why is that an issue? Would your virtual monitor need separate calibration from your actual monitor?

As for the why this is not available on any guest that I've tried, that means that the combination of VirtualBox monitor/GPU doesn't support it. I haven't been able to find which part of the equation makes calibration possible in a computer, but it simply is something that you can't do in a guest. And you don't need to, to begin with...