Manjaro guest dual-monitor problem moving windows

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Chiaki

Manjaro guest dual-monitor problem moving windows

Post by Chiaki »

So my setup looks like this:

Host: Windows 10 64-bit, Ryzen 1700X, 32GB RAM, 3 Monitors (1x 2560x1440, 2x1920x1080), nVidia GTX 1060
Virtualbox 5.1.18

Guest: Current Manjaro 17 64-bit KDE-flavor with Linux Kernel 4.10

First of all: 3D-acceleration doesn't work at all. The screen is flickering and the sound output on host starts to stutter a bit as soon as Plasma kicks in. I wish I could get it to work, but it is not that important.

Now what is happening when I successfully use the guest system without 3D-acceleration is that I can't move windows from the big screen to a smaller screen properly. When I try to move a window around on the smaller screen it works fine. If I try to move a window on the bigger screen (not necessarily FROM the smaller screen, just within the bigger screen is enough), then the window won't go above a certain line on the Y-axis. I can move the window left-right on the X-axis as much as I want, though. If I move the window from the smaller screen to the bigger screen it is alright until the mouse is also dragged to the bigger screen, then the window can't be above a certain line, it is being pushed down automatically.

This line can be adjusted a bit, by setting the relative position of the smaller screen a lot higher than the bigger screen in the system settings. This breaks the fluid movement from one window to the other, though, because the relative positioning is wrong. And even if I didn't mind this I can't set it so high that I could move the window around everywhere on the bigger screen. The best I can do is about 7/8 usable height.

So I have two questions:
  • Are there any ideas how I could get the 3D-acceleration to work?
  • What could be the cause of me being unable to move windows in the bigger screen above a certain line?