SDLMAME - cannot start any game due to OpenGL error (Ubuntu guest))

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
czezz

SDLMAME - cannot start any game due to OpenGL error (Ubuntu guest))

Post by czezz »

VirtualBox: 5.1.0r108711
Host: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1
Guest: Ubuntu 16.04

I have installed MAME 0.183 (latest available at the moment) following this instruction: http://sdlmame.wallyweek.org/repository/
In MAME I have set video mode to: auto (I have also tried all other modes: none, soft, opengl and bgfx - the last one is the worst. Does not even let me start MAME menu)
Mame itself starts and I see menu, options and available games. However, once I try to start any game, MAME crashes with following errors:
I have tried this on real HW and no issues.

Any clue what am I doing wrong?
Anyone managed to run SDLMAME on VirtualBox with Ubuntu guest ?
This is errors list taken from the console:

Code: Select all

$ mame
OpenGL Warning: Assertion failed: obj=0, file /mnt/tinderbox/add/src/VBox/Additions/common/crOpenGL/pack/packspu_glsl.c, line 210
OpenGL Warning: Assertion failed: obj=0, file /mnt/tinderbox/add/src/VBox/Additions/common/crOpenGL/pack/packspu_glsl.c, line 210
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x3a00004
  Serial number of failed request:  379
  Current serial number in output stream:  379
OpenGL Warning: State tracker is being re-initialized..

OpenGL Warning: Assertion failed: g_pAvailableContexts[ctx->id] == ctx=0, file /mnt/tinderbox/add/src/VBox/GuestHost/OpenGL/state_tracker/state_init.c, line 431
OpenGL Warning: freeing context 00007fb7cc6f8010, id(0) not being in the context list
OpenGL Warning: State tracker is being re-initialized..

OpenGL Warning: Assertion failed: g_pAvailableContexts[ctx->id] == ctx=0, file /mnt/tinderbox/add/src/VBox/GuestHost/OpenGL/state_tracker/state_init.c, line 431
OpenGL Warning: freeing context 00007fb7cc374010, id(0) not being in the context list
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: SDLMAME - cannot start any game due to OpenGL error (Ubuntu guest))

Post by mpack »

If you're having problems with guest software then your first port of call should be the developers of that software. I doubt we can have a fruitful discussion about it in the VirtualBox forums, unless you can be specific about where you think VirtualBox may be at fault.
czezz

Post by czezz »

Hi mpack,
I actually have first posted on SDLMAME forum http://forums.bannister.org//ubbthreads ... Post109170
However there I was told it must be VirtualBox problem and on a real HW it will work.

If you read carefully my first post here, you will find that I have done test on real HW (yes - it works)
The problem appears while I try to run it on VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

All right, lets try this :-

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
czezz

Post by czezz »

Hi again, I have uploaded LOG file to my dropbox. Please have a look at following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0p50la0khu5s ... 5.zip?dl=0
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It's best if you upload files here, along with the post. Third party sites may or may not be available in the future. So, please upload the file here. See the "Upload attachment" below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
czezz

Post by czezz »

Done :)
Attachments
TestBed-2017-03-18-00-16-45.zip
(27.3 KiB) Downloaded 8 times