Cannot install Guest Addtions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
52ROSt

Re: Cannot install Guest Addtions

Post by 52ROSt »

@socratis
Thanks for the hint with "man mount". This gives a huge amount of information on the mount command.

I first tried:

Code: Select all

rost@rostLMVM:~ > mount -t vboxsf LM173KDE_Basic /home/rost
mount: only root can do that
thus I used the "su -" command

rost@rostLMVM:~ > su -
Password: 
rostLMVM ~ # mount -t vboxsf LM173KDE_Basic /home/rost
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error
rostLMVM ~ # mount -t vboxsf rostLMVN /home/rost
rostLMVM ~ # mount -t vboxsf rost-X240 /home/rost
rostLMVM ~ #
I tried 3 possible names for sharename:
- name of the VM in the VBox manager
- name of the guest computer
- name of the host computer

Finally I used:

mount -t vboxsf rost /home/rost
No message in the terminal.
"rost" is the name of the shared folder set in Machine > Setytings > Shared Folders > add . Folder name.

When I opened the file manager, I first got an error message, which I don't recall. As a solution - might be a bit brutal - I powered the VM off. After restarting the file manager worked again normally but I still cannot see the host drive.

I have currently no idea on how to mount a shared folder in linux guest system and appreciate a lot help on this.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You're now deviating from the original "Cannot install Guest Addtions" title. I will give you a hint or two, but if you want to continue about the shared folders, start searching for similar topics, or create a new one with an appropriate title.

You'll have to do some reading: Ch. 4.3 Shared folders of the user manual, the "man mount" and as I mentioned, the forums.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pritam

Post by Pritam »

Hi

Please follow this solution.

when VM is running go Devices-->optical drivers--> Remove disk from virtual drive( Remove all the mounted disk)

--> Then try devices--> insert guest addition.. cd image this should work ( if not)
--> Devices--> optical drivers-->choose disk imahe-->C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso--> mount this
--> then devices--> insert guest addition.. cd image this should work ( This worked for me)