CentOS hanging on boot

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Tecbill

CentOS hanging on boot

Post by Tecbill »

Hey folks

After exporting a CentOS 5.7 VM from a Citrix-Server by using the .OVF-format I am unable import that VM into virtualbox. After choosing the .OVF file it gives me the attached error-message. Any ideas?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Last edited by Tecbill on 24. Feb 2017, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: CentOS hanging on boot

Post by socratis »

Did you read that error message?
Document labelled UTF-16 but has UTF-8 content.
Download Notepad++, or any other text editor that can open and translate different UTF encodings. Open the problematic file "D:\Temp\inf-server7\inf-server7.ovf" and change the encoding to UTF-8. If that doesn't work, try with UTF-16. I really don't know the standard, I'll look it up at some point...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tecbill

Post by Tecbill »

OK, that did the trick, thanks a lot. But after that I ran into the next error message.
If I open the .OVF-file with the notepad again and search about an absent ID I don't see any missing entry between an <instanceID></instanceID>-code.
I also uploaded the .OVF-file and changed the file format into .TXT, otherwise the file would be blocked by uploading it. Please change it back to .OVF if you need.
Thank you.
Attachments
inf-server7.txt
(6.83 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14.82 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I haven't dealt too much (if any) with OVAs and OVFs, maybe someone with more experience can help you out. In the mean time, why don't you try exploring if there are other options to export the VM from Citrix. An older format perhaps?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.