VBoxClient process gobbling up memory

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
TFO

VBoxClient process gobbling up memory

Post by TFO »

We've got a Windows 7 host and Linux Mint guest running with the latest version of VirtualBox and guest additions. Our application runs fine for a few days but eventually it starts to slow down. Looking at the System Monitor we see a VboxClient process that is using > 2 GB of memory. The memory usage of our application does not grow. How would we go about figuring out what is causing the VboxClient process to use up so much memory? Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBoxClient process gobbling up memory

Post by socratis »

How are you using your guest? Are you doing a lot of I/O over shared folders? Are you sure that the memory shown for 'vboxclient' is not cache? What's "your application"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TFO

Post by TFO »

Our application is a Motif based user interface for a test rig. We use shared folders for storing data files which can get quite large. There is also a lot of ethernet traffic between Linux and our test rig. There are always several VBoxClient processes running but it seems that the process that grows in size always has a "Waiting Channel" value of futex_wait_queue_me.

Sorry, fairly new to this. How would I know if the memory being used by VBoxClient is cached? Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

TFO wrote:We use shared folders for storing data files which can get quite large
That's why I was asking, maybe there is a lot of caching going on, either on the host or in the guest.

Try using a true Windows (SaMBa) share instead of the VirtualBox shared folders. See if that behavior insists. If you think you've found something odd, then you should head to the bugtracker and either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.