Extreme lag when running Linux on VB

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Hampus

Extreme lag when running Linux on VB

Post by Hampus »

Important facts:
--------------------------------------------------------------
This lag does not appere when running Windows XP as a guest.

The lag suddenly and wasn't there from the begining. (my fried got the same issue)

I can't run some versions on linux and get a server-x error. (seems to be something wrong with drivers)

I can't mount the guestaddition and get this error:

Could not mount the media/drive 'D:\Tools\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

I have an ultrabook and it uses intel HD graphics.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The problem:

For some reason all of the sudden my debian vm's stopped working. My friend had the same exact problem and we both have intel hd graphics. I did not update anyrthing to my knowlage and have bot tried erlier versions of VB and uninstalled it fully!

My theory is that it might have something to do with drivers but my guess is probably not even as good as yours.

I'm sorry if i'm missing any information, i'll be quick to respond if it's the case.

Thanks in advance!
-A fellow studen /w dyslexia.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Extreme lag when running Linux on VB

Post by socratis »

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do:
With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the first "VBox.log" only, ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

For future reference, "current version", "latest version", "previous version" don't (generally speaking) provide accurate information. In a couple of months the "current" will definitely mean something different. It's better if you use the complete version numbers (including the build numbers) to identify software.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.