[ERROR] UEFI Interactive Shell ERROR

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
CyberManifest

[ERROR] UEFI Interactive Shell ERROR

Post by CyberManifest »

Getting an error on boot for a flash of an instance, but would still like to resolve it...
This is on a macOS Sierra 10.12.3 MacBook Pro [Host] running VirtualBox 5.0.32 r112930 with a Arch Linux [Guest]
Any ideas what is causing this error or how it can be resolved? Is this a known bug and/or does it need to be reported as a ticket?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [ERROR] UEFI Interactive Shell ERROR

Post by socratis »

I deleted your duplicate post from the "OSX Hosts" section. Cross-posting is not allowed per forum rules.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CyberManifest

Post by CyberManifest »

socratis wrote:I deleted your duplicate post from the "OSX Hosts" section. Cross-posting is not allowed per forum rules.
Thanks, I wasn't sure where to place it, as I felt it was related to both and couldn't find a troubleshooting section. :wink:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The easy question to ask in similar cases is: where does the problem happen? In your guest. QED.
CyberManifest wrote:Getting an error on boot for a flash of an instance
What do you mean by that? That the error is as temporary as it gets? Does you guest boot after that? Why do you need EFI to begin with?

I also noted that you opened a bug report about this: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16499. My advice? First determine (after a discussion) that it's actually a bug, then go ahead and open a bug report. The forums are for triage, questions and configuration errors. If you don't need surgery, you don't go booking a surgeon, because when a person actually needs surgery, the surgeon is going to be busy to deal with it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Important information is missing from here and the bug report.

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.