Drag'n'Drop between Win10 and Mate Mint 18.1

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Lim

Drag'n'Drop between Win10 and Mate Mint 18.1

Post by Lim »

Hi all,

In irder to discover Linux, I have intalled a LinuxMint 18.1 Mate Edition on a Win10 host.
Everything works nice (even shared folders after adding my account to vboxsf group), except the Drag'n'Drop feature.

I have installed the Guest Additions v5.1.14_112924 from the VM devices and selected Bidirectional in the Advanced menu, but nothing happens when I DnD both ways.

Did I miss something?

Thank you for your help.

Lim.

EDIT: after several Guest Additions installations (always the same 5.1.14 version) and guest reboots, I can DnD from Guest (LinuxMint) to Host (Win10). But not the other way (bidirectional selected).

EDIT 2: after visiting LinuxMint a bit, I discovered that all the files I tried to drop anywhere in the guest LinuxMint were stored in /tmp/VirtualBox Dropped Files/folder. So I cannot say anymore it doesn't work at all, but is there a way to drop the file exactly were I want to instead of creating eachtime a new folder in /tmp/VirtualBox Dropped Files/ ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Drag'n'Drop between Win10 and Mate Mint 18.1

Post by socratis »

Lim wrote:all the files I tried to drop anywhere in the guest LinuxMint were stored in /tmp/VirtualBox Dropped Files/folder.
Yes, this has been happening for some time now, and I'm not even sure if there a ticket for that. I don't know if it's specific distros that are doing this or if it's a general problem. I don't use DnD so it hasn't bothered me enough to do a thorough investigation on what's affected and/or if there are any tickets open for this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lim

Post by Lim »

Thank you socratis.
At least, I know I am not a special case. :)

Now I hope someone will be able to fix it.
I am currently installing VMWare player to see if the DnD works better there.
I am surprised for VirtualBox, because I know DnD was working fine with a Windows guest. :?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Windows are fine. I thought I gave the solution when I said "I don't know if it's specific distros", but I should have made it clearer: "I don't know if it's specific Linux distros".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lim

Post by Lim »

socratis wrote:Windows are fine. I thought I gave the solution when I said "I don't know if it's specific distros", but I should have made it clearer: "I don't know if it's specific Linux distros".
To be honest, I don't understand what solution you mean. :?
Should I change Linux distribution to make that feature working?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Bad choice of words. I should have said "answer" instead of "solution". What I mean is that with specific distros it could work, with others it doesn't. With my Fedora and Ubuntu clients, the dropped files remain in /tmp and are not moved to the desktop.