Freezing Debian or Ubuntu almost any version after a while. Choosing minimal acceleration solves it

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JeWu

Re: Freezing Debian or Ubuntu almost any version after a while. Choosing minimal acceleration solves

Post by JeWu »

Got a similar issue here, too.

VirtualBox 5.1.22 + ExtPack

Host:
Fujitsu A556A (Laptop)
DualCore i5 6200U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SDD
Internal Intel GFX only

VM:
Mint Mate 18.1, Kernel 4.10.20
2 CPU, 4 GB RAM, Execution Cap: 80%
I/O APIC (on), PAE/NX (on)
ParaVirt Interface: default
Hardware Virt: VT-x/AMD-V (on), Nested Paging (on)
VideoMemory: 128 MB
Acceleration: 3D (on), 2D (off)

VM stalls regularly.

Symptoms:
Mouse Pointer remains agile while not being able to access any open Windows of 'running' programs via mouseclick.
Sometimes, System bar remains accessible. sometimes not.
If system bar is accessible, I can start programs and shell but the opened windows are not responsive to mouse interaction.
Switching tasks via keyboard is still possible (most of the times).

It occurs while VM CPU and RAM constrains are far from being critical (usually below 75% RAM / 30% CPU).

A VM reboot (when possible via keyboard) is not sufficient to resolve the issue. Instead, I have to initiate a full reset or shut down.

My suspicion is, that it has to be some glitch in the X-server, as it starts with affecting the open windows not being responsive any more.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Re: Freezing Debian or Ubuntu almost any version after a while. Choosing minimal acceleration solves

Post by arQon »

arQon wrote:I managed to get the same lockup even at "Minimal" the other day (still on 5.1.14) so it looks like KVM is simply more prone to it rather than actually to blame.
The VM is set back to KVM now and the host updated to 5.1.22, so we'll see what happens next time there's a kernel update.
The same as before: the first boot hangs (and I agree with JeWu that it looks like X might well be to blame, since that's clearly starting (cursor changes)) and even VTs aren't reachable, the VBox GUI hangs, etc. As usual, killing the VBox process and relaunching the VM works perfectly regardless of settings. Quite the puzzle.