How do I use a shared folder from a Windows host to a Linux guest?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
GeorgeRT

How do I use a shared folder from a Windows host to a Linux guest?

Post by GeorgeRT »

I am running Oracle VirtualBox 5.1 on Windows 7 Professional. I have an Ubuntu 16 virtual server as a guest. In Oracle VirtualBox I went to Devices -> Shared Folders -> Shared Folders Settings. I added a share. The folder name was delu. The path was to c:\del\ on my Windows machine. In Linux, I ran this as root:

mount -t ext3 delu ~/fun

I get "mount: special device delu does not exist." What should I do?

I tried rebooting the Linux guest, but that didn't help. I tried recreating the share as read-only with auto-mount and "make permanent" checked. The result is the same.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: How do I use a shared folder from a Windows host to a Linux guest?

Post by Perryg »

GeorgeRT

Post by GeorgeRT »

I have tried a variety of things including looking at the documentation. I am now trying a "better" command. When I run this command

Code: Select all

mount -t vboxsf delu ~/fun
it just hangs. There is no error message. I do not get to run another command. There is no prompt. If I press enter, the screen moves downward.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Assuming that you used sudo to elevate the user to be able to do this you must also have the guest additions installed. Since servers usually don't have a desktop and use cli you would need to install them with the --nox11 tag at the end of the run command. You might want to post the guests log file ( as an attachment ) if you need to continue this conversation.