[Solved] Unable to create partition on Xubuntu guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
emil78

[Solved] Unable to create partition on Xubuntu guest

Post by emil78 »

I have Xubuntu guest machine and the hard disk is not partitioned. I want to partition the hard disk and i tried to use gparted but i think the partition /dev/sda1 have to be unmounted first so i don't think i will be able to partition the hard disk from inside the guest machine. Is it possible to partition the virtual hard disk and how?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to create partition on Xubuntu guest

Post by mpack »

That is not a VirtualBox question, and it certainly is not a "Windows Hosts" question.

I suggest that you go to an XUbuntu support site and ask there how to partition a hard disk. In all Linux distros I've tried - which is only the top ones - these steps are done by the OS installer.

Moving this topic to "Linux Guests".
emil78

Post by emil78 »

I know how to partition disk during the installation, but this is pre-made virtual hard disk that i am using.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

As on metal you would need to do this the same. Just put the gparted iso in the virtual CD and boot to that. It will see the virtual drive and you can do what ever you want to it just the same as on metal. Of course everything on that drive will be erased and you can do the same thing by just creating a new machine and new virtual drive, but you are the one in the drivers seat.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you are actually asking how to resize a pre-made disk that is too small then see Howto: Resize a Virtual Drive.
emil78

Post by emil78 »

Perryg wrote:As on metal you would need to do this the same. Just put the gparted iso in the virtual CD and boot to that. It will see the virtual drive and you can do what ever you want to it just the same as on metal. Of course everything on that drive will be erased and you can do the same thing by just creating a new machine and new virtual drive, but you are the one in the drivers seat.
Can you, please, explain in more details how to do that? I attached live usb to Xubuntu guest but when rebooted the guest machine it didn't boot from the live usb.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You can not boot from USB, at least not easily. Download Gparted iso and attach that to the virtual drive.
emil78

Post by emil78 »

Thanks, it worked.