Configuration of Linux instance using Oracle Virtualbox and TDExpress14.10_Sles10_OS.vmdk files

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
shankarelkal
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Configuration of Linux instance using Oracle Virtualbox and TDExpress14.10_Sles10_OS.vmdk files

Post by shankarelkal »

I tried to make TD-Express work in a VirtualBox environment as well until I found the fundamental flaw in my approach Here are the steps I took to make TD-Express work with VB:

Latest Virtualbox install:

Latest TD-Express version (TDE 15.10.0.07 SLES 11 for VMware (40GB) w/Viewpoint):

Virtualbox config:
By default VB sets up the disks as SATA
The TD-Express vmdk’s require SCSI
Steps to configure SCSI
Open VB
Create a new VM
Name: TD-Express
Type: Linux
Version: openSUSE (64-bit)
Memory size: Greater than 1GB
Hard disk: Do not add a virtual disk
Once created
Click “Storage” in the VB Manager
NOTE: Below steps can be performed with icons on the bottom of manager window
Delete “Controller: SATA”
Add “SCSI Controller”
Add “hard disk”
Choose existing disk
Select “TDExpress15.10.0.7_Sles11_40GB_vp-disk1.vmdk” from the location you unzipped the TD- Express download
Repeat for *disk2, *disk3
Click OK
Click on "Network" in the VB Manager
Select Bridge Adapter in Attached to field
Select en0"Wi-Fi-(Airport) in name listbox
Click on Ok button

Start virtual from VB Manager window!
Linux Virtual Instance starts but it hang by giving the below message
Decompressing Linux... Done
Booting the kernel
Boot Data ok
Initializing CPU #0
PID hash table entries: 4096 (order :12 131072 Bytes)
Console : colour VGA 80*25 .....
NOTE: Booting stops at this line and virtual instance is not started, can some one help us in resolving this issue...?
shankarelkal

Re: Configuration of Linux instance using Oracle Virtualbox and TDExpress14.10_Sles10_OS.vmdk files

Post by shankarelkal »

Latest Virtualbox install:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 31-OSX.dmg
Latest TD-Express version (TDE 15.10.0.07 SLES 11 for VMware (40GB) w/Viewpoint):
http://downloads.teradata.com/download/ ... 0Agreement
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Configuration of Linux instance using Oracle Virtualbox and TDExpress14.10_Sles10_OS.vmdk files

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Linux Guests" from "OSX hosts", since your host is not where the problem occurs, your guest's configuration is.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. The latest VirtualBox build is not 5.0.20, it's 5.1.14 (as of this writing). Please upgrade, it helps if we're on the same page. Not that I think it will make a difference since I believe the problem is in the settings.
  2. Your download link points to "TDE 14.00.03.02 for VMware", not the "15.10.0.07" that you have. If it's 40 GB you can forget about me downloading and testing such a beast. Someone else will have to try it out if they feel like it. Plus, there is this little thing that prevents me from getting the download: "To access this download, you must login."
  3. The VM (as the name implies) is tailored to VMWare. As such it might have their tools installed which make it difficult to make it work. It would have been better for their part if they had an OVA without any virtualization tools installed. But, to be honest, I'm not sure that this is the problem either, since you fail at the very early stages.
  4. When you downloaded the VM, there must have been more than one file. I'm not familiar with VMWare and its file structure, but your could you do a directory listing? Open up Terminal and post the output of "ls -laR" in the directory where you unzipped the downloaded file.
  5. Finally, the most important of all: the VBox.log.zip. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the "VBox.log" (just the first one), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
shankarelkal

Post by shankarelkal »

But how do i modify the xorg.conf file where i need to change the changeme to vesa so that i can get the login screen for accepting user id and password for logging into VM..?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

WHAT??? :shock:
Where did that come from? Are you sure you're replying to the correct topic/forum?
shankarelkal

Post by shankarelkal »

yes sir,

After configuring the tdexpress disk with virtual box, when we start the virtual machine its not able to pop up the login screen which will ask to enter default user id and password which will be dbc/dbc for entering into databsase which is not happening now..?

could you please let me know how can i enable the settings so that i can view the login screen pop up window..?

Thanks,
Shankar
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Shankar, that's not the state you were in when I replied to you. You were "stuck":
shankarelkal wrote:Booting stops at this line and virtual instance is not started, can some one help us in resolving this issue...?
Do you mean to tell me that the "stuck" state means that you were presented with a text interface screen and a login prompt? If that's the case, I'm afraid that VirtualBox is working as it should.

VirtualBox provides the "hardware". You wouldn't call Acer/Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo to ask them for the login credentials, would you? That's something that you'll have to ask the people where you downloaded the VM from.
shankarelkal

Post by shankarelkal »

Hi Sucartis,

i have installed Virtual Box and mapped TD Express .vmdk files (PDISK0.vmdk, PDISK1.vmdk and TDExpress14.10_Sles10_OS.vmdk but when i start the virtual instances its not booting up please find the attached shot

Thanks,
Shankar
Attachments
VM Booting issue Screen shot attached
VM Booting issue Screen shot attached
Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 4.31.49 PM.jpg (126.76 KiB) Viewed 2733 times