Hardening error on nvd3dumx.dll

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Poison

Hardening error on nvd3dumx.dll

Post by Poison »

Before you read, I've had this problem for a while. Here is the previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81046&start=0

However, since that thread, I have tried a lot more things to fix this. I have completely reinstalled the os and all drivers (it was done correctly and through the manufacturer) and all my hardware is working correctly and up to date. I did not restore any of my old settings. The new virtual machines I have are experiencing the exact same problems. It does not matter what ISO I use. Guest Additions has been installed correctly. I am desperate for a solution. I have a few theories that I could use some opinions on. But first, here is all the information you should need:

Code: Select all

00:00:59.295392 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_742a1ef549eb6d0c\nvd3dumx.dll: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on '\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_742a1ef549eb6d0c\nvd3dumx.dll'
00:00:59.295562 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_742a1ef549eb6d0c\nvd3dumx.dll' (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_742a1ef549eb6d0c\nvd3dumx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
00:00:59.295946 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cached rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_742a1ef549eb6d0c\nvd3dumx.dll
00:00:59.295984 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_742a1ef549eb6d0c\nvd3dumx.dll' (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmii.inf_amd64_742a1ef549eb6d0c\nvd3dumx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190

So here are some of the oddities:
1) It is completely inconsistent. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it does not. I have not been able to reliably reproduce it.
2) The only AV I use is Avast. I have tried completely disabling Avast, whitelisting all vbox processes, and a couple other things. Nothing works, so I do not think it's the AV.
3) I usually DO NOT have problems when I try to run the virtual machine whilst connected to my computer via RDP.
4) Sometimes restarting the computer 4-5 times will get it to work correctly, but this is not consistent, and sometimes restarting 20 times will do absolutely nothing.

After a lot of research, I feel like it may have something to do with incorrectly signed certificates on nvd3dumx.dll, but I do not know enough about certificates or how they work to troubleshoot this. Therefore, I have attached some pictures of this. Basically, the first odd thing I noticed is that there are 3 very similar folders, all containing basically the exact same files (not necesscarily the exact same because some appear to be newer than others, but they are all the same file names). Only one of the folders (nvmii.inf_amd64_742a1ef549eb6d0c) contains the nvd3dumx.dll that is causing the problem. The other two also have the own nvd3dumx. When I looked at them, they appear to have more signatures than the one that is being rejected (see pictures).

Could this cause a hardening error? Could I manually sign these files to make it stop? Is this NVIDIA's fault or virtualbox? Please help me. This is the most annoying error I've ever dealt with. I am aware that there is an older version of VBox that does not feature hardening. I am considering this is an all else fails solution.
Attachments
SignatureImages.zip
Picture of the 3 similar folders, a file with 'good' signatures and one (the one that is being used) with 'bad' sigs
(24.3 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Logs.zip
Logs
(48.95 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Hardening error on nvd3dumx.dll

Post by Perryg »

The simple fact that sometimes it works is the give away as far as I am concerned. If the cert were really faulty it would never work. Keep in mind that disabling avast is not the same as removing it completely followed with a reboot. Avast has been known to cause issues from what I have read here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Poison wrote:3) I usually DO NOT have problems when I try to run the virtual machine whilst connected to my computer via RDP.
Can you elaborate on the "usually" part? As soon as the host starts? With no one logged in? Any patterns?

As Perryg said, the fact that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, is really suspicious. To me it sounds like an executable is attaching itself in running processes, but not always. Only if something has triggered it. A simple test? Complete uninstall of the NVidia driver's bells and whistles and re-installation of just the basic driver.

Lately display drivers have been known to attach themselves to processes for "ease-of-use" reasons, like providing an extra widget to each and every window so that you can modify its display settings.

On the other hand, antivirus are getting more and more invasive. Take a look at this thread that talks about a really recent AVG behavior, where it tries to debug each process (with a workaround): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81216#p382958

But I'd also follow Perryg's advice and completely uninstall AVG.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Poison wrote:3) I usually DO NOT have problems when I try to run the virtual machine whilst connected to my computer via RDP.
Since connecting via RDP means that a different host is rendering the graphics, this does suggest that source of the problem is the graphics drivers on your original host. In this case disabling 3D acceleration would verify.