Meditation Guru critical error on Windows Host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mycroft1

Meditation Guru critical error on Windows Host

Post by mycroft1 »

I have tried all the memory adjustment solutions and suggestions that I have found. I am attaching my log file. Any help correcting this would be appreciated. I am new to virtual machines so I'm not sure what to look for.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
VBox.zip
(44.44 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Last edited by mycroft1 on 10. Jan 2017, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Meditation Guru critical error on Windows Host

Post by socratis »

Please edit your message, delete "part1.log" and "part2.log", ZIP the whole log and replace the two parts. It saves a couple of (virtual) trees. Thanks.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.801878   VRamSize         <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
Your display RAM (vRAM) is too low. I'd take it to 64 MB or more.
00:00:03.810960 CPUM: Matched host CPU INTEL 0xf/0x6/0x2 Intel_NB_CedarMill with CPU DB entry
                'Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz' (INTEL 0xf/0x4/0x3 Intel_NB_Prescott2M)
Not your usual CPU these days.
00:00:28.114245 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
For Guru Meditation errors, you should head to the bugtracker and either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.

Based on the CPU that you have, I managed to find two bug reports that have the "Intel_NB_CedarMill" or else the "Intel Pentium D CPU 3.40GHz" that you have on your system, https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13034 and https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13160

Now, as luck would have it, I have an almost identical setup, same CPU with mine being clocked at 3.2 GHz. So, tomorrow, I'm going to try Ubuntu 16.04 and see what I get and compare notes. In the meantime, please take care of the one zipped log.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mycroft1

Post by mycroft1 »

I have attached the log as a zip file. I tried adjusting the vRAM to 96 MB and still got the same error message. We looked at the tickets and one was empty, closed, and marked obsolete. The other one said that the error was fixed but for an older version of Ubuntu than I'm trying to install.
Thanks for your guidance so far and I look forward to hearing the results of your notes tomorrow.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Suggestion: Throw out the Pentium D processor. It's not good for anything, and never was.

Actually that's too harsh, the Pentium D is pretty good for keeping the place warm in winter.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Interesting. A true XP era HP desktop that's 64bit (one core) and supports VT-x? I didn't know those existed. I'm also surprised Win10-64 could be installed on it.

I see that you have the Hypervisor API enabled in the guest. ISTR getting crashes related to that - you can try disabling it as a test.

Also the early VT-x is a concern. Are you able to run 32bit guests?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:I didn't know those existed. I'm also surprised Win10-64 could be installed on it.
I have a system like that, class of 2006. Working just fine (and not as a heater michaln ;) ) and it's actually my daughter's gaming machine for games released even in 2016 like Tomb Raider (2013), X-Plane (current) and Inside (2016). Not too many 10-years old computers can do that:
  • Came with XP initially and it now successfully triple boots Win7-32/64 and Win10-64.
  • Pentium D @ 3.2 GHz, 2 physical / 2 logical cores.
  • VT-x available and enabled.
  • NX was available, but I only enabled it due to this thread because it never was a problem so far.
  • Use it also as a backup for my VirtualBox VMs. Runs every VM (with lower memory maybe because it can only take up to 4GB total), except my OSX guests.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@mycroft1
Thank you for zipping the log. I have good new and bad news. The good news first: I got the same setup to work. The bad news? Only under Win7-32. Let me explain...

My setup is almost identical to yours [1]. But, I triple boot between Win7-32, Win7-64 and Win10-64. The VM is shared between OSes, i.e. same VBOX, same VDI, same preferences. On Win7-32 it works. On Win7-64 and Win10-64 it fails with a guru meditation error, same exactly like yours. I can find only the minuscule of differences between the runs and I'll list them briefly:
ONLY on [color=#BF0000]Win7-32[/color] wrote:
00:00:03.238127 [/REM/] (level 1)
00:00:03.238129   64bitEnabled <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:03.243747 PGM: Host paging mode: PAE+PGE        Win7-32
00:00:05.044710 PGM: Host paging mode: AMD64+PGE+NX   Win7-64/Win10-64
ONLY on [color=#BF0000]Win7-32[/color] wrote:
00:00:03.318995 REM: VBoxREM64
00:00:03.319101 Using 64-bit aware REM
ONLY on [color=#0000BF]Win7-64/Win10-64[/color] wrote:
00:00:29.327128 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
00:00:29.327185 Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
00:00:29.327781 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:00:29.327783 !!
00:00:29.327784 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
So, it seems to fail with 64-bit Windows (be it Win7 or Win10). I'm attaching the logs and afterwards I'll start looking for an open bug report. If I can't find something that fits, I'll open a new ticket and I'll post an update to the thread.

PS. Changing paravirtualization between "KVM" and "None" has no effect whatsoever. Same with PAE/NX.
VBox-732-764-1064.zip
Logs from a successful run on Win7-32 and Guru Meditations on Win7-64/Win10-64.
(109.25 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

[1] : I didn't have the Execute Disable enabled, I did enabled it because of your post. Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mycroft1

Post by mycroft1 »

Thank you so much for your help with this. We are going to try a different approach. I really appreciate you looking into this!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@mycroft1
If you want to get updates about this, just post a comment on the ticket. You're auto-subscribed to receive e-mail updates from the developers (hopefully) about this...

PS. I just happened to have an extra computer with the same setup. Thank your luck, not me ;)
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

As luck would have it, we were just in the process of reviving an old system with a Pentium D processor (Pentium D 950, 3.4 GHz). It runs Linux but shows the same problem with the guest OS triggering a triple fault. We'll look into it, and will use the ticket for further communication.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

michaln wrote:the Pentium D is pretty good for keeping the place warm in winter.
michaln wrote:we were just in the process of reviving an old system with a Pentium D processor
The winters must be harsh where you live...
Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Thanks for looking into this. Ticket #16375 will be the active "forum" for this now. I will simply update this thread once a resolution has been achieved.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Well, we risked the cooling budget of our test lab but we did it just for you guys!

But seriously, I have a 6 year old CPU which at the same TDP has at least 10x the computing performance of the Pentium D. It's not even funny how bad the NetBurst architecture was.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

michaln wrote:Well, we risked the cooling budget of our test lab but we did it just for you guys!
You don't have to tell me. A year and a half ago summer was relatively hot over here. That puppy blew 4 power supplies. In a month! Solution? Open the cover and stick a big house fan right on it's motherboard. Now, besides the 540 W power supply I also have the fan to worry about blowing a fuse. That's why it has since become my "winter" system ;)