Fedors guest issues date and time and duplicity

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
letitbe

Fedors guest issues date and time and duplicity

Post by letitbe »

Host Windows 7 64 bit.
Virtualbox 5.1.12
Guest Fedora 24 64 bit Gnome

I am not sure this is the right forum but here goes
I have used a VDI Fedora 24 file from osboxes for use in Virtualbox 5.1.12 as the guest on a Windows 7 host. It has installed ok and after a few problems with dependencies the Linux Guest addons works. There are however two issues I have not been able to resolve.

1. DATE AND TIME.

The date and time are displayed incorrectly. One day and 19 hours in advance of the actual time.
The time zone is displayed as correct. However there is NO lock/unlock icon to allow root control over setting the time and date.

On opening Settings. Date & Time app we see.

Automatic Date & Time ON
Automatic Tome Zone ON ( can change to OFF but has no effect on the outcome)
Date & Time 10 January 2017 07:14 (actual 9 January 2017 12:18)
Time Zone AEDT (Sydney, Australia)
Time format 24 Hr

The network is active and the internet can be accessed via Firefox and files downloaded.

If I try to change the Date & Time it displays as changed on the desktop until the Enter key is pressed then it reverts back to the date and time as it was before it was tried to be corrected.

If I go to root and enter;

timedatectl set-time “2017-01-09 12:18:30” the time on the desktop changed but then reverts back

NTP is on. Have tried turning it off but no change in the time setting, Tried using the “machine/settings/system Hardware clock UTC time “ ON and OFF to no effect. In fact then the unclicked the virtual machine runs very very slow.

Therefore the question is how can I get the correct time & date set and f possible the lock/unlock icon in the Dtae & Time window?

2nd issue.

I have downloaded and installed Duplicity into the virtual machine. This sets up and runs until a backup is started. I have a shared folder from the Windows Host which I can read and right bidirectionally.

The set-up. I have a file in the shared folder on the windows7 host that I want to back up to a Linux machine. The folder is accessible in the Fedora 24 guest to which I can read and write files on the Linux host. I have duplicity set up to back the files in the shared director to a Linux machine on the local network via SSH. (same as I use to backup other Linux machines to he same machine on which all backs are held also using Duplicity.

When I start a backup I get the following;
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1546, in <module>
with_tempdir(main)
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1540, in with_tempdir
fn()
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1391, in main
do_backup(action)
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1510, in do_backup
full_backup(col_stats)
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 566, in full_backup
bytes_written = dummy_backup(tarblock_iter)
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 238, in dummy_backup
while tarblock_iter.next():
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/diffdir.py", line 523, in next
result = self.process(self.input_iter.next())
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/diffdir.py", line 195, in get_delta_iter
for new_path, sig_path in collated:
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/diffdir.py", line 290, in collate2iters
for relem1 in riter1:
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/selection.py", line 179, in Iterate
subpath, val = diryield_stack[-1].next()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/selection.py", line 144, in diryield
error_handler, Path.append, (path, filename))
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/robust.py", line 38, in check_common_error
return function(*args)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/path.py", line 535, in append
return self.__class__(self.base, self.index + (ext,))
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/path.py", line 515, in __init__
self.setdata()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/duplicity/path.py", line 531, in setdata
self.symtext = os.readlink(self.name)
OSError: [Errno 71] Protocol error: '/media/sf_Documents/My Music'

I am not shure where to start to diagnose this.
Any helps please.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Fedors guest issues date and time and duplicity

Post by socratis »

letitbe wrote:I have used a VDI Fedora 24 file from osboxes
This is similar to taken a hard drive from computer A, sticking it in computer B and expect everything to go smoothly. Usually it doesn't. I would suggest to download an installation ISO from Fedora and do the installation yourself, tailored to your specific "recipe", or VM settings, like RAM, HD controllers, network settings, etc, etc. Now to your specific questions...

Question 1: Date and time.
I didn't see a VirtualBox issue here. How a guest behaves is up to the guest. The only thing that VirtualBox provides is the "hardware". You wouldn't call Acer/Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo with something like that, would you? You might have better luck if you search for similar issues in a Fedora forum.

Question 2: Backups over shared folders.
VirtualBox shared folders present a very simplified file system implementation, just enough to read/write files from/to the guest. Many applications can error when using shared folders, because they expect advanced features, like file locking or access controls, which don't exist for shared folders. Maybe the load is too much and it can't take the I/O. I would use a a true network share (SaMBa).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.