Have 2 questions: Where to D/L Guests Additions & are these = Extensions?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Benny7440
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Puppy Linux

Have 2 questions: Where to D/L Guests Additions & are these = Extensions?

Post by Benny7440 »

I've installed VB at a Toshiba laptop which is running Win10, tried two different linus OS's: Slacko (a kind of Puppy based on Debian) & Ubuntu Studio (this one had to be re-installed because the first one got the screen all garbled) but the last installation trial keeps asking me a password that I can't match & I've found no info about it, yet.

There're certain things that I find desirable in dealing with Slacko but need the Guest Additions for it but can't find a way of downloading those. Apparently, the original D/L VB file has been deleted. I've thought of downloading it again but, remembering that a few days ago I D/L an updated version & tried looking inside it found nothing in relation to those additions. Nonetheless, I know I've read somewhere that those additions are packed within the installation file; don't know if your webpage discern if it's an update & then doesn't include those on subsequent D/Ls assuming that the moment to use or discard them has already passed...

Another disappointing issue is the cursor movement within the reduced window space: lets say that I move the mouse an inch to the left and the only visible cursor is within the VM running, in the normal Windows' window in might move about an inch to the left. Well, within the virtualized window it moves much more until there it appears another cursor out of the virtual area and it stops right there. At the beginning I resorted to go around outside the virtual area and enter at the other side and/or moving the whole windows to a more convenient spot. I've got the conviction that the speed for the virtual area cursor isn't the same as for the other one.

Somehow, I hoped that if I can get those additional files this issue might get solved or at least alleviated. Thanks for any help on these!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Have 2 questions: Where to D/L Guests Additions & are these = Extensions?

Post by mpack »

1. You don't, they are bundled with the software.
2. No, the extension pack is different. The latter is a plugin for the VirtualBox app on the host, the GAs are a set of drivers for the guest OS. There is really no connection between the two.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Have 2 questions: Where to D/L Guests Additions & are these = Extensions?

Post by socratis »

Take also a look at the user manual, Ch. 4.2.2. Guest Additions for Linux.

Moving to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.