Kali Linux not starting up

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.

Kali Linux not starting up

Postby jonoo » 19. Dec 2016, 17:44

I downloaded Kali Linux Virtual Image from the Kali web site. I imported the Appliance OK but when I start it I get to select GNU/Linux to start up but then the screen goes blank with a static '_' cursor. I have played around with the settings, RAM set @ 2Gb. Using Windows 7.

Log file attached.

My system is 64-bit but I could not load the ISO version, tried 32-bit and that failed at the INSTALL stage......then opted for VirtualBox image available on the Kali site .... Argggh .....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments
Kali-Linux-2016.2-vbox-i686-2016-12-19-15-32-45.log
Log file
(115.21 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
jonoo

Re: Kali Linux not starting up

Postby scottgus1 » 19. Dec 2016, 17:52

jonoo wrote:when I start it I get to select GNU/Linux to start up

This would likely indicate that the Windows Host part of this guest is working properly, and that the problem is in the Kali guest, which would then indicate you should post in the Linux Guests forum for Linux gurus to help you.

That said, there may be a solution here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81046 apparently a 3D issue with recent Linux and Virtualbox.
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in...
No matter which side you choose, Left or Right, both Sides are empty.
scottgus1
Volunteer

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Postby mpack » 19. Dec 2016, 18:36

Moved to "Linux Guests".
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby Perryg » 19. Dec 2016, 18:44

Since the host CPU is really old you may have all kinds of problems if you even get it to work at all. You might be able to install if you do so your self and not use a pre-built version that was built on more modern systems.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Return to Linux Guests