Kali Linux doesn't boot

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mik321

Kali Linux doesn't boot

Post by mik321 »

Hello,

I have got a problem with VirtualBox and Kali.
When I'm booting Kali and clicking on "Install", it's changing to a black screen and nothing happens.
gGMmENt.png
gGMmENt.png (13.33 KiB) Viewed 7590 times
VBox.log
(100.24 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
I don't see any errors in the log file, do you?

A previous problem for me was, that everytime I started any VM, the host crashed completely and restarted.
Then I disabled the "Intel Virtualization Technologie" in the BIOS, and it works.

Also I can only choose 32 bit operating systems.

Best regards
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kali Linux doesn't boot

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.387448 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
You'll need to fix this. By undoing the following:
mik321 wrote:I disabled the "Intel Virtualization Technologie" in the BIOS, and it works. Also I can only choose 32 bit operating systems.
Not being able to run anything than 32-bit guests, is a direct consequence of disabling virtualization technology (VT-x). Please re-enable it. If then you have a crash, we can look at it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mik321

Post by mik321 »

So now I have activated the "Intel Virtualization Technologie" in the BIOS, but then the same problem appears: The host crashes.

So that's the log:
VBox.log
(27.89 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
P.S.: The problem with the 32 bit systems isn't the consequence of the disabling of the "Intel Virtualization Technologie".

Best regards
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Let me start from the last one:
mik321 wrote:The problem with the 32 bit systems isn't the consequence of the disabling of the "Intel Virtualization Technologie".
Yes it is. If you mean that you still cannot get 64-bit guests, take a look at the following: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

In there you'll see a note about Hyper-V. I suspect that this is why the host crashes; your Windows 10.0.14393 has a tendency of enabling Hyper-V, doing double damage. One, the 32-bit only guests, and two, crashing the host. Try to disable it. And reboot.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mik321

Post by mik321 »

I've already disabled it...
It isn't the consequence of enabling it and it isn't the consequence of disabling it.
It's everytime there, that I can only choose 32 bit guests.

So my problem is still, that the black screen comes in the Kali Linux VM Window.
Nothing happens, it's still black after choosing "Install".
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Enable hardware virtualization in your bios and then enable 3D acceleration in the guest settings.
Post a new log file after you do this.
mik321

Post by mik321 »

Okay, I've done it, but it's the same.
VBox.log
(39.89 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You seem to have something really wrong some place. This file is either truncated or a problem with the host. Look at both logs and see. I would suggest that you try a different OS like Ubuntu live cd and see if that works differently. Be sure to leave all of the settings to default and not change anything until we get to the bottom of the issue.