Ubuntu/Xubuntu 16.04.1 Display Issues

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Mards

Ubuntu/Xubuntu 16.04.1 Display Issues

Post by Mards »

Hello,

I downloaded VirtualBox this morning and tried to run the Ubuntu 16.04.1 .iso on it. Everything was going well, I saw the loading screen pop up, felt joy come over me and then this happened:
  • (Virtual Box) monitor went black
    (Virtual Box) monitor turned to a myriad of colours and characters
I feel like it's a graphics issue, but instead of messing with the settings that I don't understand I downloaded a Xubuntu iso and tried that. Alas, the same thing happened.

Please help. I took screenshots of the GUI so you can see my settings and uploaded pictures of the virtual monitor crashing. I'm running on a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU, x64-based PC, Windows 10

Here are the screenshots I took. The forum won't let me attach the file (too big) or post a link (too noob) so you'll have to fill out the link below:
(github)/mbardwell/HomeProjects/files/542280/VirtualBoxIssues.zip
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu/Xubuntu 16.04.1 Display Issues

Post by socratis »

I don't even have to look at the screenshots, because I've seen plenty of them. You need to disable 3D acceleration in the VM Settings, Display. Known glitch with Ubuntu based distros, especially newer ones.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mards

Post by Mards »

socratis wrote:I don't even have to look at the screenshots, because I've seen plenty of them. You need to disable 3D acceleration in the VM Settings, Display. Known glitch with Ubuntu based distros, especially newer ones.
3D acceleration was never enabled. I tried enabling it and it produced the same problem.

Tried repairing Virtual Box, restarted my PC and ran Ubuntu and Xubuntu again with 3D acceleration disabled. No luck.

Any other ideas?
Mards

Post by Mards »

SOLVED --

Many people have had the same problem -- see "[Workaround] Ubuntu Guest - Messed up display/graphics"

Solution that worked for me:
Quoting Rui Baptista
"I had the same problem 3 or 4 times in a row, here are some notes about:

Situation: messed display when starting install of Ubuntu 16.04 64bits on Windows 10 64bits.

The install seems to go better without 3D, in my last tests I had no issues without it but I am sure that 3D was off the first time.

The Host+F1 / Host+F7 is a workaround, but don't expect any change when you hit F1, just hit F7 to continue. Or just F7/F1.

I had no issues after that initial welcome screen. Guest additions, boot and reboot are fine.

Things always go better after reading the forum, now sometimes it works even with 3D on :), thank you all"
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's weird happening from a live CD. What's your graphics card? Is it the embedded Intel one?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mards

Post by Mards »

socratis wrote:That's weird happening from a live CD. What's your graphics card? Is it the embedded Intel one?
I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 3870
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks for reporting back. Interesting...
IkeaEraser

Post by IkeaEraser »

Could I ask if there has been a fix?

I wasn't sure top post this under Mac Host forums or Linux guests forums.

I have the same issue as stated (Myriad of colours on a Live USB install) on my iMac 2008. The Ctrl+F7 -> Ctrl+F1 advice did not work for me, and frankly, I am unsure what to expect pressing it.