New user trying to install Xubuntu in VB under Windows 7

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Jake Maverick

New user trying to install Xubuntu in VB under Windows 7

Post by Jake Maverick »

Hi

First time I have tried to set up a Virtual Machine. I'm trying to install Xubuntu in VB under Windows 7....it all seemed to be going alright....until it seemed to hang on installing Xubuntu. So I tried again...but error i get now is 'FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium system halted.'

I've tried rebooting but I still keep getting same error. Now I'm also wondering....when I set up the VB software and then set up a virtual machine under that--- it was only giving me options for 32 bit linux, rather than the 64 I'm trying to install. Could this be the problem? Or am i doing something a bit daft?

thanks
Jake Maverick

Re: New user trying to install Xubuntu in VB under Windows 7

Post by Jake Maverick »

update- just tried running the Xubuntu iso as a virtual drive from my hard drive.....I'm now getting an error meesage that says it failing because it's only detecting i686 cpu......it's a bulldozer 6 core cpu!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios.
2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.
3) If running Windows as host you must make sure hyper-v or xp mode is not enabled on the host. MS does not play well and wants it all.
Jake Maverick

Post by Jake Maverick »

Perryg wrote:1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios.
2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.
3) If running Windows as host you must make sure hyper-v or xp mode is not enabled on the host. MS does not play well and wants it all.
Thank you very much! I did reboot- already has hardware- virtualisation enabled....so what I did was delete the virtual machine then tried again....then it gave me the 64 bit option and OS is installing now. I think it might have been because I typed the name in first the first time...and that only gave me 32 bit options, or something ;-) anyway seems to be solved now, thank you!
Jake Maverick

Post by Jake Maverick »

sorry to be a pain but it just didn't work and i can't see what i'm doing wrong

when installing from the iso on the hard drive it gets to the bit where you choose to install and actually starts doing that....but then just hangs. when using the CD it doesn't even get that far....

i don't actually have those options, but i have tried several permutations/ all i think for 64 bit linux and just generally other 64 bit- no joy

that could be it! but i'm not 100% sure that is not what is happening....ii've tried searching on those terms but nothing comes up so was pretty sure they're both disabled....

i can still hear the CD churning away even when it is locked up, so must be in some kind of loop i guess. i've had no problems installing from this disk as the machine it is currently in is triple boot and have also used the disk to install on other machines
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Jake Maverick

Post by Jake Maverick »

thanks...did manage to solve it now, what i did was run from the iso again....but this time i didn't select the download updates options...it fell over a couple of times (?) but it has installed now, yay! i now need to install Guest Additions....managed to mount that .iso as a virtual CD, but for the life of me i cannae figure how to run it?

honestly, I'm not a complete muppet just a bit frazzled at the minute- i know it must be something simple! do i run it from within xubuntu, or do i need to close that VM down and run it from the software somehow instead?

reason i'm doing it is desperately trying to recover files from a failed SSD, been working on this since Sunday :-(
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Jake Maverick wrote:now need to install Guest Additions
Have you tried to follow the instructions in the User Manual? Chapter 4. Guest Additions. I'd look for and follow the Ubuntu-based specific details.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jake Maverick

Post by Jake Maverick »

thanks again and yes i have tried that manual, also several other links including this one

<You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.>

i've tired changing to the virtual cd rom directory manually...but it says no such directory exists. so i think there is a problem with the virtual drive not being mounted correctly....but i can manually flick to it via the GUI, just not in terminal...?

i would have installed via apt-get if i could.....but the virtual box isn't connecting to my internet connection so i can't do it that way :-(
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Launch the VM.
In the menu Devices, there is a "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...".
If autorun doesn't prompt you, navigate to the CD and run "sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jake Maverick

Post by Jake Maverick »

thanks

that didn't work either for some reason but i did manage to get internet working in the end so installed it via apt- get in the end.

the software makes no sense sometimes. like on the initial install... 3 times, exactly the same way on each of those 3 times and the third time it worked? no sense to my mind ;-)

the only problem i got now is to get ext2fsd working under windows 7.....then i should be able to see the encrypted and corrupted partition in the backup file and recover what i need....but that just ain't working either and it's brand new W7 install, so that makes no sense either. Even de-activated AV as well as that is known to cause problems sometimes- as i say it just dnt make any sense! ;-)

but thanks for all your help guys i'll get back on it 2morrow
Jake Maverick

Post by Jake Maverick »

mission accomplished now so somebody can clos this thread if they like ;-)

thanks for all your help fellas!