Manually starting additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
rdf

Manually starting additions

Post by rdf »

Hi everyone,

I have an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS guest with an annoying additions problem. The additions work just fine just after installing them - they get build and become immediately operative. After the reboot, however, they are not active. They start working if I install again. Here's the install log:

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.0.26 Guest Additions for Linux.............
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 5.0.26 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Stopping VirtualBox Additions ...fail!
(Cannot unload module vboxguest)
Removing existing VirtualBox non-DKMS kernel modules ...done.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-/2.6.32-21-generic
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-/2.6.32-21-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-/2.6.32-22-generic
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-/2.6.32-22-generic
Copying additional installer modules ...
tar: Record size = 8 blocks
Installing additional modules ...
Removing existing VirtualBox non-DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules
Building the main Guest Additions module ...done.
Building the shared folder support module ...done.
Building the graphics driver module ...done.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions ...done.
You should restart your guest to make sure the new modules are actually used
From here it's easy to see that the additions weren't loaded, but indeed they work again after the process. I suspect this is due to problems in updating the startup scripts.

Well, I don't know to fix all of that, I'd be happy enough to know which commands I should issue to manually start the already built additions without the need to insert the media, reinstall, etc. Like that I could just make a simple script and it gets less annoying... I looked around and tried out something, but I'm not getting any result up to now.

Thanks for any ideas!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Manually starting additions

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
rdf

Post by rdf »

Hi @mpack, thank you for answering. Here's the log you asked for...
Attachments
VBox.zip
(23.86 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That log shows the 5.0.26 Guest Additions loaded and active. I need a log which demonstrates the problem.
rdf

Post by rdf »

Well, maybe I generalized too much - sorry for that. In fact, the actual problem I have is that the shared folders (I have one - it's called "Scambio" in the guest) does not get automatically mounted after boot.

What I know is that it starts working straight after I install the additions again (until I reboot). Here's part of the log of the install process:

Code: Select all

VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 5.0.26 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Stopping VirtualBox Additions ...fail!
(Cannot unload module vboxguest)
From here I can see that stopping Virtualbox additions fails - at least.

So, the right question would become: which commands should I issue to manually mount my shared folder, in order to access it without the need to reinstall the additions every time?

PS - all was working until many months ago, and then this happened after a Virtualbox update (can't remember which version it was).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's not an error. It was a wrong text from the VirtualBox installer and the message has been corrected in the latest versions. I repeat, your GAs install just fine, this is not an error.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jferguson

Post by jferguson »

I have what seems to be the same problem as the earlier poster. I'm running recent Vbox on Ubuntu 18.04. It handles guest Windows XP and Windows 10 fine. but not Ubuntu 10.04. It brings it up and will run the application I need it for. I am going to install nfs and in order to do that I need to list the "Old system" archives in my apt list - haven't done it yet.

It seems that i need to load Guest Additions each session, then the two folders I want show on the desktop but are inaccessible due to unknown rights. if I power down and power up, the folders do not display at all.

I will next post the logs you suggested above, but the first question is whether the latest guest additions should be used, or maybe an older one? In other words is Guest Additions tied to recent Vbox?

More to follow. I'll post the rest of this after I get nfs running.

john
jferguson

Post by jferguson »

This is what system is showing:
john@Upstairs-LinuxCNC:/var/log$ more vboxadd-install.log

insserv: warning: script 'K20acpi-support' missing LSB tags and overrides
The script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart
job, but lsb-header is not supported for Upstart jobs.
insserv: warning: script 'udev-finish' missing LSB tags and overrides
The script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart
job, but lsb-header is not supported for Upstart jobs.
insserv: warning: script 'rsyslog' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `cryptdisks-early' o
verwrites defaults (empty)

I suspect the problem is a 10.04 Kernel stripped for use as a "real-time" system. The purpose of running it as a client in VBOX was to save the trouble of doing a full install on another disk - and since I was only using it to check G-Code, there was no real need for the "Real-Time" performance. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time with this.

Or maybe this isn't the problem??
jferguson

Post by jferguson »

I didn't mean this to be a frivolous request. Thinking that problem might have been with Ubuntu 18.04 host, I did install on Windows 10. Installing the "Real Time" Ubuntu 10.04 worked fine, but in that host Guest additions will load in a session, and allow Sudo access to a shared folder via a terminal session. If I shut down using "save the Machine State" the Guest additions stick, but if I do a power down they are gone.
I've struggled to get nfs working instead, but to no avail. Is it possible that NFS cannot work on a guest without guest additions working?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jferguson wrote:Is it possible that NFS cannot work on a guest without guest additions working?
No, it's got nothing to do with it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jferguson

Post by jferguson »

Thanks Socratis. Now I know it's not impossible to get NFS in the guest to mount folders from the host or ???, I can spend the time to figure ourt how.

So far problem seems to be getting the right ip address for the guest into Exports on the host, so it can give permission for the guest mount.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You might want to start a new thread. I mean, it was a stretch already to wake up a 2 year old thread, with a not so meaningful title, but the NFS issue? Nothing to do with it. One thread per issue, one issue per thread, with a related title. Helps searchers...
jferguson

Post by jferguson »

roger