Unable to install guest additions on Ubuntu 14.04 (screen re-sizing not working)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
knight

Unable to install guest additions on Ubuntu 14.04 (screen re-sizing not working)

Post by knight »

Hello,

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 OVA image as my guest (it is a pre-configured image with RhodeCode Enterprise - official release taken from their website) and I'm trying to install Guest additions for re-sizing my display.

I followed the instructions in the How To Guide posted in this forum, but it seems the install is failing. View -> Auto re-size Guest Display remains greyed out after a restart. No errors came up during the install, but I noticed on the vboxadd-install.log there are a few lines saying:

Code: Select all

grep: /lib/modules/3.19.0-68-generic/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.19.0-68-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j1 modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (
     echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";
     echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";
     echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";

I'm not sure what this means. Has anyone run into this issue before?

Guest details:

~ uname -rv
3.19.0-68-generic #76~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 12 11:46:25 UTC 2016
My host is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and I'm running VirtualBox v5.1.6 r110634

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Unable to install guest additions on Ubuntu 14.04 (screen re-sizing not working)

Post by Perryg »

What you posted is nothing more than echo code. We would need to see the complete /var/log/vboxadd-install.log ( as an attachment ) to know more.
yurtesen

Re: Unable to install guest additions on Ubuntu 14.04 (screen re-sizing not working)

Post by yurtesen »

Did you try to install virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox-guest-x11 using apt-get first?
(I am guessing they install some older versions but they may install whatever is necessary/missing for building the modules)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

yurtesen wrote:Did you try to install virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox-guest-x11 using apt-get first?
(I am guessing they install some older versions but they may install whatever is necessary/missing for building the modules)
Not a good idea. These are distro forks and not supported here. You will need to ask the distro for help.
knight

Post by knight »

Perryg wrote:What you posted is nothing more than echo code. We would need to see the complete /var/log/vboxadd-install.log ( as an attachment ) to know more.
Yes - apologies. Took me a few mins to get the file onto my host as I have no GUI. The vboxadd-install.log file is attached now.
yurtesen wrote:Did you try to install virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox-guest-x11 using apt-get first?
In many forum posts, the mods recommend installing the Guest Additions directly from VirtualBox instead of the distros. I mounted the CD that came with VirtualBox and did it that way.
Attachments
vboxadd-install.zip
guest additions install log (ubuntu 14.04)
(7.02 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

First I would update the OS and then make sure that you have the matching headers for your kernel. Then install the guest additions again from the terminal and post the results of the terminal.
yurtesen

Post by yurtesen »

Perryg wrote:
Not a good idea. These are distro forks and not supported here. You will need to ask the distro for help.
The point was that he could install them to get dependancies (eg. required kernel headers etc.) installed and then he can upgrade/uninstall them afterwards or maybe they just work even.
knight

Post by knight »

Perryg wrote:First I would update the OS and then make sure that you have the matching headers for your kernel. Then install the guest additions again from the terminal and post the results of the terminal.
I followed your advice, but I still do not have the option to re-size my display. Here is the terminal output when re-installing guest additions:

cdrom/> sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run | tee /media/sf_Downloads/ga_install_terminal_output.log

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.1.6 Guest Additions for Linux...........
VirtualBox Guest Additions Installer
Removing installed version 5.1.6 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
vboxadd.sh: Building Guest Additions kernel modules.
vboxadd.sh: You should restart your guest to make sure the new modules are actually used.
vboxadd.sh: Starting the VirtualBox Guest Additions.

Could not find the X.Org or XFree86 Window System, skipping.
System Information:

~ sudo apt list --installed | grep -e dkms -e build-essential -e linux-headers- 

build-essential/xenial,now 12.1ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
dkms/xenial-updates,xenial-updates,now 2.2.0.3-2ubuntu11.1 all [installed]
linux-headers-4.4.0-36/xenial-updates,xenial-updates,xenial-security,xenial-security,now 4.4.0-36.55 all [installed,automatic]
linux-headers-4.4.0-36-generic/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 4.4.0-36.55 amd64 [installed,automatic]
linux-headers-generic/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 4.4.0.36.38 amd64 [installed]
linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 4.4.0.36.38 amd64 [installed]

~ uname -r

4.4.0-36-generic
I believe that all the necessary pre-installation steps were followed (dkms, build essential, and matching headers for kernel are installed). Can you give me any advice on how I should proceed?

Perhaps a silly question - but does a GUI need to be installed for guest display re-sizing to work?

All related log files are attached in an archive below.

Thanks!
Attachments
vbox-ga-install-logs-ubuntu16.04.zip
installation logs for vbox guest additions (ubuntu 16.04)
(9.06 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by knight on 14. Sep 2016, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Could not find the X.Org or XFree86 Window System, skipping.
So your question has been answered. Auto-resize has to have the above to actually work. If you are running in console mode you would need to manually adjust the framebuffers used by the guest to get a larger screen. The only benefit that the guest additions will give you is the shared folders.