symlink in shared folder

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
VDev

symlink in shared folder

Post by VDev »

I have a Linux guest VM on a Mac OS X host on VirtualBox 5.1.4. A nagging issue is the inability to create symlink on the shared folder.

~/macshared$ ln -s file symlinkfile
ln: creating symbolic link `symlinkfile': Operation not permitted

I have followed other posts, with the following recommendation but it does not help.

VBoxManage setextradata VM_NAME VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/SHARE_NAME 1

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: symlink in shared folder

Post by socratis »

VDev, you posted the exact same message 3 days ago, which I'm going to delete per forum rules. I'm going to leave this one because it's in the Linux Guests and it has better chances of finding more knowledgeable users compared to the Mac Hosts.

Have you seen ticket #10085 which talks about the same issue? It's still listed as unresolved, but there is a nice discussion on the logic behind it. Plus, out of curiosity, why can't you use a true network shared folder instead of the VirtualBox shared folder?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VDev

Post by VDev »

I had looked at that post. The main reason why I want to use vboxsf is for performance. I move a lot files between the host and the VM and this has become a major hindrance. Why doesn't the VBoxManage setextra ... work? Or perhaps something is procedurally wrong. Help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes! It's a bug!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VDev

Post by VDev »

Any ideas when this is going to get fixed (if at all)? OR should I start looking at other solutions such as VMWare?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I have no clue, I'm a simple user just as you. But even if a developer were here the answer would be that they never reveal schedules. Not just here, everywhere.