Shared directory with win10 host and ubuntu guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
motip

Shared directory with win10 host and ubuntu guest

Post by motip »

Hi,

I have win 10 OS and use VirtualBox 5.1.4 to create Ubuntu 16.04.01 desktop guest.
I created a folder in the host (e.g. d:\\shared_dir) and then set the settings in the guest:
Shared Folders -> Machine Folders -> Browse the directory in the host and type the Folder Name and select "Auto-mount"

I started the ubuntu guest and go to /media directory but can see any item (expected sf_shared_dir)

Am I missed something?
\
Thanks
Moti
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared directory with win10 host and ubuntu guest

Post by socratis »

Have you followed the instructions in the User Manual, 4.3.2 Automatic mounting? Including installing the Guest Additions in the guest?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
motip

Post by motip »

Yes,

After install the Ubuntu I installed the guest:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dkms
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11

And then define the shared directory in host, power-off the guest and start the ubuntu again.

But nothing is not appear under /media directory

Please advise
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

motip wrote:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dkms
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11
That's not the correct way to install the Guest Additions. You got the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox, not the official one. Remove them. Start re-reading the instructions carefully and follow them step-by-step please from Chapter 4.2.2. Guest Additions for Linux and forward.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.