Ubuntu GNOME Installer Crash With NVMe Controller

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mob777

Ubuntu GNOME Installer Crash With NVMe Controller

Post by mob777 »

I am attempting to vritualize an ubuntu Gnome 64-bit 16.04.1 image onto my VirtualBox 5.1.2r108956 using an NVMe controller as my storage configuration. I have a Samsung 950 pro SSD and checked "Enable EFI (special OSes only) option in my System settings. Additionally, I enabled 2 processor cores on my quad core CPU, dedicated 2048 GB of memory, and 30GB of disk. I also downloaded and installed the extension pack 5.1.2.

My issue is right after the install finishes copying files and when it starts installing system I receive an installer crashed error stating that the ProblemType is a Bug.

I've attempted both "Erase disk and install Ubuntu" and "Something else" partition options and still the same issue persists. I've also tried installing the same image onto a SATA controller and the install goes through without any issues. However, when I switch back to using an NVMe controller I get the same error as before.

I've tried searching for to see if anyone has had this same issue but haven't had any luck. Any help with this matter would be much appreciated!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Installer Crash With NVMe Controller

Post by socratis »

Try with the default template. Do not change things unless necessary, or you've already verified that it works with the defaults.

For example:
mob777 wrote:Enable EFI (special OSes only)
Is your OS special? Did you read the tooltip over that control? (Hint: it's mostly for OSX guests).
mob777 wrote:I enabled 2 processor cores on my quad core CPU
Are you absolutely sure you have a 4-core CPU and not a 4-thread CPU?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mob777

Post by mob777 »

Thanks for the reply socratis! Yes, I wasn't entirely sure if I should have the Enable EFI option checked but decided to given that my SSD has NVMe architecture. Also, my CPU is a true 4 core processor operating on 4 threads (Intel Core i5-4460 Processor).

When I initially attempted to create an Ubuntu Gnome guest on an NVMe controller, I maintained all the VB default settings. These settings were also the same settings I used when successfully installing Ubuntu under a SATA Controller. However, when the installer crashed under the NVMe controller during the "configuring apt" section of the install, I then tried changing the settings.

I'm wondering if it has something to with how I configured my storage settings. I've attached an image of my settings.
Attachments
VirtualBox Storage Settings
VirtualBox Storage Settings
VB Storage Settings.png (26.5 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

When I said "use the defaults", this is what I meant. The defaults do not use 2 CDs, neither the NVMe controller. The latter is BTW pretty new (since 5.0.18) and I'm not sure if it's thoroughly tested. Again my suggestion is simple; try with a new VM with the defaults.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mob777

Post by mob777 »

Ohhh, I see what you mean. I was hoping to gain better performance from my drive by using an NVMe controller versus a SATA controller in order to better simulate an SSD/PCIe environment. I'll have to stick with the VM defaults then until the NVMe controller becomes more vetted.

Greatly appreciate the help!