Problems With Mouse Scroll Wheel When Using Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.

Re: Problems With Mouse Scroll Wheel When Using Guest Additions

Postby Watter » 11. Sep 2017, 14:26

WombatFromHell wrote:Basically, the problem is related to a bug in libinput, and switching the pointer driver to evdev is seemingly the only solution.

Interesting. I guess this is why Mint 18.2 worked for me where Arch did not. It's using evdev instead of libinput by default. As I mentioned above, the caveat is that while the mousewheel now works as expected in my browsers, it has the "no scroll while pointer is moving" behavior in system applications like Kate, Dolphin, or Konsole. It's a trade off, but one I can live with.
Watter

Postby Dreyk » 16. Mar 2018, 11:36

already 2018 and still not fixed... Previous workaround dosent work with Ubuntu 16.04 as guest. Any news to avoid this bug?
Dreyk

Postby WombatFromHell » 18. Mar 2018, 06:54

I can, in fact, confirm that doing something like the following works for Ubuntu dating as far back as 12.04, but it may require enabling the 'universe' repo in your sources.list:

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
sudo apt install imwheel

Then creating an .imwheelrc file in your $HOME, with this in it:

"^.*$"
    None, Up, Button4, 2
    None, Down, Button5, 2
    Shift_L,   Up,   Shift_L|Button4, 2
    Shift_L,   Down, Shift_L|Button5, 2
    Control_L, Up,   Control_L|Button4
    Control_L, Down, Control_L|Button5

Then running imwheel (most likely by editing your session or using whatever session editor you prefer) with something like:

imwheel -b "4 5" &

.. or alternatively (if you get config file related errors) the following may work instead ..
imwheel -b 45 &

All this restores mousewheel functionality in Xorg back to something closer to normal. Hope this helps!
WombatFromHell

Postby myNameIsJeff » 9. Sep 2018, 22:27

So I know this is old, but I still had the same problem and although I haven't tried any of the previously mentioned solutions, I found a "good" workaround for this issue.

so here it is: in virtualbox manager, click settings for the OS in question, and go to System and make Pointing Device: PS/2 Mouse.

Not a super fancy or difficult solution, but it works. However, this created the issue for me of loosing my mouse whenever I needed it outside of the virtual environment. But you can get it back by simply switching between different views, like full-screen.
myNameIsJeff

Postby CTS_Æ » 27. Jan 2019, 13:09

Crazy this hasn't been handled :0
Maybe someone can patch the core linux mouse driver bug! :P
Did anyone put in an issue for it?

I wanted to say I found this blog to be super helpful for setting up imwheel
I did remove the 3 at the end of the config lines because I was getting 9 line jumps (3 x 3 ?) - maybe due to the VM? After removing those though it worked nicely.

Edit I guess I cannot post a link until after I have 1 message and 24 hours on my accounts : [

In case I forget to make it back here and update this...
webupd8 org "how to change mouse scroll wheel speed"
CTS_Æ

Postby LRI_David » 3. May 2019, 09:39

Hi Everyone,

Just in case someone is still encountering this problem. What solved my problem was to install evdev (for Ubuntu):

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evdev-hwe-18.04

After the evdev was downloaded and installed, it automatically selected evdev, and the mouse wheel worked correctly.
LRI_David

Previous

Return to Linux Guests