Terminal connection to USB-UART interferes with other USB communication

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Linus234
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04), Android (Genymotion)

Terminal connection to USB-UART interferes with other USB communication

Post by Linus234 »

Hi there,

I am running Linux Mint 17.3 (i.e. Ubuntu 14.04) as guest on a Windows 7 host.

I have an FPGA (Altera Cyclone IV on DE0 Nano Board) running a system on chip (orpsoc).
(c.f. http://opencores.org/or1k/ORCONF2013_Wo ... n_DE0_Nano)
There is a USB-Cable that communicates with the FPGA's JTAG interface (USB-Blaster) to programm both the FPGA bitstream and the binaries for the SoC.
When I run the binary, I need to listen to the SoC's output via a UART breakout board connected to the FPGA's GPIOs.

On a nativ Linux system, everything works fine.

In the VirtualBox guest, however, the JTAG communication is not working any more, as soon as I open the terminal connection to the UART (e.g. with screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200). By "not working" I mean that I get all kinds of strange error messages from the JTAG connected Telnet that seem to indicate that the data transmission is not successful.

It looks as if the UART-USB connection is somehow "jamming" the JTAG USB connection.

Any ideas how to narrow that down further and maybe even solve it?

Thanks in advance,
Linus
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Terminal connection to USB-UART interferes with other USB communication

Post by socratis »

Linus234 wrote:the JTAG communication is not working any more
Your chances of successfully controlling a USB debug interface (JTAG) from a VM, range from 0% to 0.1%. VMs don't really do physical hardware, but it kind of depends how finicky the device is about accurate timing. And that last word is the key word. Hardware in a VM has to go through another layer of software which most of the time makes things more complicated and prone to incorrect timing.

Linus234 wrote:Thanks in advance, Linus
Shouldn't you be working on the kernel right now?
Sorry, couldn't resist :D
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Linus234
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04), Android (Genymotion)

Re: Terminal connection to USB-UART interferes with other USB communication

Post by Linus234 »

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! Too bad, that my chances are that low.

In fact, I found out that it works when I use two spearate computers each running Linux in a VM: one establishes the terminal connection to the UART the other handles the JTAG debug interface...

But this is not ideal either. At least now I know that there is a good a reason to have Linux as a dual boot on my computer.

(I can now go back to working on the kernel... ;-)